Gamers' Lounge :  forum
Arrange meeting times for new games, discuss past games and strategies, socialize with other players. 
Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: CT2009 - ROUND II
Posted by: acro ()
Date: August 02, 2009 09:54PM

It's ok, we'll keep trying. I'm just going to be on whenever I can.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Squeegie ()
Date: August 03, 2009 04:43PM

Squeegie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Superfontane told me he quit and that I should
> play Nelson.
>
> Nelson has remained silent. But i'm online most
> evenings Sun-Thursday, not hard to find :)

I think I was mistaken here... I didn't realize Schopenhauer and Superfontane are both my round 2 opponents. I don't think Superfontane ever quit. If you're out there, I'd love to get a good match in during this tourney.

SUPERFONTANE!!!! Come face me like a superhero.

Posted by: Hubic Hair ()
Date: August 06, 2009 02:33AM

Looks like my left testicle won't be solving world hunger.

7 days have passed, and no-one has played. This tournament is not so much about skill as it is about containing your frustration and desire to quit longer than everyone else.

Posted by: Sovereign ()
Date: August 06, 2009 03:07PM

I'm starting sign-ups for the CT2009 Winter Tournament. If we start now we might be able to crown our victor by next March.

Posted by: -RIPPE- ()
Date: August 08, 2009 12:55AM

hey guys i dont mind kicking more out but you guys with rematches standing out could at least finish what you have begun.

Date: August 08, 2009 01:11AM

I am still waiting to see LNO, I think he's still on holiday.

Posted by: LikeNoOthers ()
Date: August 08, 2009 03:26AM

I am back now, so we got some time from now on

Posted by: -Superfontane- ()
Date: August 08, 2009 04:29AM

Squeeguie We can play this weekend. I think weekends are the only chance we have to match

Posted by: empError ()
Date: August 08, 2009 08:07AM

I hosted a game between LNO and acro today.

LNO played Grenada, acro Nicaea.

In the first attempt, LNO had a quick expansion, while acro had trouble taking dev+1 Nicaea. LNO considered asking for a re-start, as acro would have more +s on his side of the map, but he didn't. Because of his bad start, acro had probably better done so, but did not in the first year. LNO still offered a re-match, and acro agreed. A new game with the same starting lands was started.

Attached is the situation at turn 21, just before re-starting.

Attachments: turn21.jpg (276.9 KB)  
Date: August 08, 2009 08:19AM

The re-match was again between Grenada (LNO) and Nicaea (acro)

In general, LNO expanded much more early in the game than acro, while acro advanced his lands earlier. 6 armies in Dalmatia held acro back a bit, but he took Napoli early, and advanced it quite fast. LNO marched on to some good lands in Central Europe, including Austria and Venetia. The African and Russian lands developed nicely, in acro's favour. When acro took these lands, he came quite close to LNO in the score, but still was behind. Then the battle for Austria ensued. Not surprisingly, LNO had to give some ground at the furthest reaches of his empire. After much fighting, the map and the scores nicely settled in a closely matched state: Number of lands, population, and culture all were close together.

Before continuing, let me attach the situation when the battle for Austria started.

Attachments: turn20b.jpg (276.2 KB)  
Date: August 08, 2009 08:33AM

... To continue the story of the LNO-acro match:

the game stayed in balance for a long time, with both parties developing at the same rate, taking neutral lands at about the same rate, etc.. At some point I counted the advanced lands, and acro had 23, while LNO had 25.

Then, at some point, acro was short of money in winter. This didn't hurt too much, it seemed, as he stood his ground. A few winter's later, both players were just short of money, but lost only a handful (<5) troops. Both players were running out of time, then, as we got over turn 60. Acro again was short of money, and this time LNO seemed to get the edge in the score, where he got to 5 lands more than acro, and also quite a bit more population (35 more, I think) and culture.

At this point LNO had to leave, and at the same time, the game started to get hickups, and LNO left.

LNO had a slight advantage, but acro was certainly not knocked out yet.

I may have to decide on this game, but the fairest thing considering the closeness of the match would be a re-match. So I first want to give the opportunity of a re-match to the players, and post here if you are prepared to do so. A reluctance to re-match will not affect my decision.

Attached is the situation after LNO left, and the game seemed kinda frozen for a while. So the lands with 0 armies may be caused by inability to move in the winter before.

Attachments: turn77b.jpg (281.9 KB)  
Posted by: MrScientist ()
Date: August 08, 2009 09:35AM

What's with all the restarts these days..

U don't see Federer asking for a restart against Nadal if the match appears
to be on gravel.

Date: August 08, 2009 09:42AM

Chrash.. To bad.. But i'd like to ad, about turn 55, i was pushed all the way back from Tunis, and was far behind in money and troops.. I was so close to concede

Date: August 08, 2009 11:25AM

It will be harsh on whoever is knocked out between me and LNO as we are both of an extremely similar ability and that was a very very close game. But it's a harsh world, and we have to end it somewhere, because this is the nearest thing we've had in weeks to this tournament actually going anywhere. So I think that although I am tempted to accept a rematch, I shall say my decision is that emp should judge a winner. Unfortunately for me, the game crashed at a time where LNO seemed to have the upper hand, and I am expecting the judgement to go against me even though I felt I was going to win, but such is life.

Regardless of the outcome, I would love for us to make time to have another epic battle LNO, as the two games we have played were among the best conqueror games I have played, particularly the last.

Date: August 08, 2009 12:05PM

I totally agree.. But i still dont mind a rematch if you are on tomorrow..

Posted by: -RIPPE- ()
Date: August 10, 2009 01:41AM

gentlemen, i hope the next fight between you too will bring up a decision....

Posted by: Captain Planet ()
Date: August 11, 2009 03:11AM

That's right boys, RIPPE runs a tight ship!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2009 03:11AM by Captain Planet.

Posted by: borat ()
Date: August 17, 2009 06:15AM

cum on

Posted by: hallali ()
Date: August 17, 2009 07:48AM

CT 2009 RIPPE vs borat

RIPPE: Castile
borat: Nicaea

Judge: me in brand

Winner by decision of the Judge: RIPPE

The game broke down turn 30.
By that RIPPE had 231 (39 lands) pop, borat 138 (26 lands).
Additionally RIPPES lands were 3/4 advanced whereas borats lands were 1/2 advanced.

If my sisterly love would decide, I would kick RIPPE as fitting revenge for the dried plants he should care for while I was away recently. But things are as they are, RIPPE is the man.

Date: August 17, 2009 07:59AM

LNO, acro, are you still gonna re-match?
Or should I reach a verdict?

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.