Gamers' Lounge :  forum
Arrange meeting times for new games, discuss past games and strategies, socialize with other players. 
Beginning Expansion
Posted by: tic-tac ()
Date: February 26, 2010 12:12PM

So I have some questions for some of the stronger players out there, about the beginning. First off, how many troops per turn should you have in a country before you produce them? And how long to wait before advancing your cap? I've read Paar's guide, which helped a lot, but I still can't expand very quickly. Help would be appreciated! thx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beginning Expansion
Posted by: LikeNoOthers ()
Date: February 26, 2010 10:18PM

Well, i use 30k primitv +0 for troops (next to cap), until its supportive. Also lands longer away away from cap, i use troops, unless it doesn't take so long to build the far. And a 40k dev (40k +0, 30 +1, not a 20k+2) can be very helpful in the start

Posted by: Squeegie ()
Date: March 01, 2010 03:17PM

It's important to look for good lands 2 or 3 steps away from your cap. Aim to take those early if they're not heavily defended.

Good lands = anything that will build atleast 1 troop per turn immediately:
40k prim
30k+1
20k+2

30k dev
20k+1
10k+2
10k+1 (will build a farm in 1 turn then will build troops)

Use these good lands 2-3 away from your cap to build troops and continue expanding while you develop the lands next to your cap and advance your cap.

Posted by: LikeNoOthers ()
Date: March 01, 2010 08:57PM

Yes Squeegie. But it sounds like you ment that a 10k +1 WILL build a farm and THEN build troops. :) You must mean thats what the person should do

Posted by: Squeegie ()
Date: March 02, 2010 09:51AM

Thanks for the clarification LNO, that is exactly what I meant to say. (pareden me bahd inglich)

Posted by: empError ()
Date: March 03, 2010 10:44AM

I think the most important thing for a good expansion, besides luck, is to try to get some nearby lands with large populations fast, before they get a chance to build armies. You may know that neutral lands can build armies up till twice their population size, so a 40k land could build up to 8 armies, and you may want to prevent that from happening. Especially when the land is a bottleneck-land, such as England, Bulgaria, Moldavia, in 3 vs 3. Of course, after 1 or 2 turns, you should know which lands are building troops, and you may change strategy.

So, although a 20k+1 and a 30k land are similar in terms of production, I'd first go for the 30k lands in turns 1 and 2, because the 20k lands will never build more than 4 armies, and the 30k lands could go up to 6 armies.

Posted by: empError ()
Date: March 03, 2010 10:49AM

Another thing I often do, is to not yet take one neutral land bordering my cap, so that I can take it in winter, with armies built in cap in turn 3. In this way, you can make good use of those armies in winter, instead of just spreading them over your already taken lands. If you play Nicaea, Crete may be ideal for taking in turn 4, unless it's developed or so.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.