Gamers' Lounge :  Conqueror! Forum
Arrange meeting times for new games, discuss past games and strategies, socialize with other players. 
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Izzlekizzles Guide To Europe
Posted by: hallali ()
Date: March 01, 2010 02:47PM

As most of us know, Izzlekizzle is planing to visit Europe this summer. And I wondered what might be of interest to him. Places to see, things to do. For Germany (besides eating sausagges with kraut) I thought so far:

1. Visit Berlin

As RIPPE said, people are open minded, relaxed and living there is easy and cheap. It has a lot of points of interest and a history.

2. Visit Munich

Sure, bavaria is somewhat of a cliché but it IS fun to sit at lunchtime in a typical beergarden, eat knuckle of the porc and get drunken with all the others.
(Expert version: The munich Oktoberfest. That was kind of sick though. Friday 9 am. 6000 people packed in a large tent, waiting for the first beer to be sold. And then on you go..)

3. Drive on the legendary german autobahn

Rent yourself a good car, get some good music and drive at the autobahn with no speed limit. Legally. It is a difference driving with 50 or 120 mph.

What should our friend from oversea do next?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Izzlekizzles Guide To Europe
Posted by: Schopenhauer ()
Date: March 02, 2010 03:05AM

Im happy that you have plans on visiting denmark. it would be an honour to have you izzle :)

In denmark i can suggest the occasional castles since denmark is the oldest monarchy in the world we got a few of those big stoney things. Like germany we are also a country of beer. Carlsberg, Tuborg and alot of small local brewers. even the germans says we got good beer so that should we worth a visit.

though i dont think you can actually visit them and see how they make the beer anymore, they closed that down. but you can visit Carlsbergs museum where you get a free ticket for a beer. :)

We dont got forest and mountains in denmark but if you like to bike it around denmark is nice. i guess you will be visiting us in the summer and i can therefore suggest biking in jutland or bornholm (the small island close to sweden).

friendly and outgoing equals danes same goes with beautiful women. And if you are a foreigner i believe the girls will be more than interested in speaking with you.

the last time i had americans visit us here in denmark they were thrilled to see kronborg, a big castle in copenhagen, also the place where Holger Danske is. And also tivoli or was it Bakken ? with one of the oldest wooden rollercoasters in the world. and dont worry its completely safe :)

If you got any questions about denmark dont hestitate to ask, izzie. me and the rest of us danes are more than happy to help :)

Posted by: -RIPPE- ()
Date: March 02, 2010 07:57AM

since europe is as big as the states, distances can be very long, travelling from montenegro to scotland will eat away your precious days in europe, so i strongly recommend you to think of a rough plan for travelling through europe. grab yourself a map and check a route you want to travel, you will not be able to see everything around in europe so i would recommend to think better few than too much destinations. thinking of a dumb, ignorant, fat, loud, obnoxious, opinionated, mcdonald's eating american who likes forests, mountains, beaches, islands, island beaches, hiking, biking, the occasional castle, history, good beer, friendly outgoing people, and beautiful women my choices would be:
swedens countryside to stockholm, copenhagen to visit the freakshow, berlin for party as mentioned before, amsterdam for the weed and the lekker meisjes, one night in paris, the wonderful mountains of switzerland, vienna (my favourite city in europe) for some bakery stuff and schnitzel,rome for some historylesson in religious greed and maybe croatia for some beach relaxation. this would be a route from north to south across nice n notable places. maybe uk would be good in the middle or end of your trip to talk to people who can understand you. in some way it can be very stressy cuz there are so many diffrent languages spoken all over europe so maybe you could need some relaxation languagewise. its also smart to book some hostel shortly before you travel somewhere, it will speed up things a lot not to search in a strange place. even though it may sound a lil conservative, i think planning helps a lot when travelling...

since money is always little, maybe you should consider doin some interrail, check the prices and conditions below i think they are the same all over europe. you dont have to book in advance and can decide spontanuosly. the global pass is valid all over europe.

[www.bahn.de]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2010 08:04AM by -RIPPE-.

Date: March 02, 2010 08:32AM

Yeah vienna is a must see. So beautiful city and the best cafes with pies and tartes. Just Yummy! And a lot of places to go and see. You can just walk through the city. It is so beautiful.

Posted by: Captain Planet ()
Date: March 02, 2010 08:58AM

Western Europe's got pies, Eastern Europe's got tarts...

Date: March 02, 2010 12:14PM

The big beer festival in denmark is held in the old carlsberg grounds in Valby. It starts the 6th of May and ends the 8th of May.

Thursday 6th of May: 4pm - 11pm = 16.00 - 23.00
Friday 7th of May: 4pm - 11pm = 16.00 - 23.00
Saturday 8th of May: 12.00 - 23.00

[www.visitcopenhagen.com]

I have never been to Aarhus myself but here is a guide for Aarhus..

[www.visitaarhus.com]

If you do visit copenhagen there is a few things you MUST try and see. The danish smørebrød. we are the only country in the world that has that.

[upload.wikimedia.org]
-Dansk Smørebrød :)

There is also this link.. hope you can use it..

[www.visitcopenhagen.com]

And if you are looking for some sex you can always visit H.C Ørsteds park at night. :P If you fancy a quick one with a... guy. :) Remember, when on a holiday you gotta try new stuff and push yourself beyond sanity

Posted by: Paars ()
Date: March 02, 2010 01:08PM

Pretty much any drugs you can do without problems in amstedam, also Dutch girls are hot. And ofcourse the red light districts are a weird/cool thing to visit lol.

Date: March 02, 2010 01:24PM

But from what ive heard red light district is closing down
and if you are to visit the coffee shops you need to be a member before you can buy any weed. the dutch goverment hope to remove that bad reputation of being a country of weed and whores.

Date: March 02, 2010 03:16PM

Amsterdam is a beatiful city too besides the coffeeshops. The houses are small and there are a lot of waterways in between, the so called Grachten. It is really nice for walking around. And a dedicated smoker like you should at least one time in his life smoke in a decent netherland coffeeshop.

If you come during June it must be during the soccer world championships. Then I strongly recommend a good game and a public viewing spot. No matter where you are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2010 03:17PM by hallali.

Posted by: ghost. ()
Date: March 02, 2010 05:56PM

Come to London and go around the circle line in a circle !!!!!!!

n.b this may be boring, expensive, and pretty pointless. :P

However, I do suggest vienna and also rome, they are beautiful cities. :)

England can be ok but most of the attractions are old castles and building, here is a link to the top 100 most visited sites :)

[www.londontop100.co.uk]

Posted by: Scum ()
Date: March 02, 2010 06:39PM

My family always liked Italy. They weren't too fancy about Germany. They are all military though, so may not be the same as tourist.

Date: March 03, 2010 04:45AM

Izzle how do you know these things?

Vienna is hot because it has beautiful buildings, and the best Cafes and Pastry-Stuff ever. Plus it has major museums. And really nice in summer, when you need some rest, is the central cementary. Half the size of zurich but twice as funny the austrians say. Especially the old jewish part is really peaceful.

Posted by: Machiavelli ()
Date: March 03, 2010 06:37AM

hallali Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Especially the old jewish part is really peaceful.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

And they say Germans don't have a sense of humour...although I don't think hallali realises what she just wrote.

The Austrian sense of irony is as delicious as their sachertorte.

Date: March 03, 2010 06:49AM

i have traveled around europe with a cousin and both of us came to the same conclusion, viennas ladys are the hottest. even prague, paris, rome and berlin had to pass.

since the london music scene got lost after the great dnb, its a dead end nowadays. though it must be very funny for an american to visit uk since they have these kinky dialects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2010 07:03AM by -RIPPE-.

Date: March 03, 2010 08:09AM

A general conclusion must be that all european countries have something special that you could find interesting to visit. unfortunatly you cant visit all of them. But since US and A is a big mixture of europeans i would think that there must be some similarities between us.

Are you travelling alone izzie ?

Posted by: Keira ()
Date: March 03, 2010 09:41AM

I would like to think the UK holds a few more curiosities to travellers than just 'kinky dialects', but maybe not.

Certainly any self respecting Conqueror might want to get his photo taken with the Conqueror Castle as a back drop.
I think its Bodmin Castle in Hastings, England.

I'd like to be the first person to do that ,,,,it really would be Conq-tastic!

Attachments: 682393593_2c4ee1e7b2.jpg (101.6 KB)  
Date: March 03, 2010 11:42AM

hey k, sorry for my slack commentary bout uk, it really is extremely lovely but your dialects are just too sexy not to mention em. so izzel keep the kegs rollin visit uk!

[www.youtube.com]

all over europe i think there is only one country that has nothing to offer, belgium. ok, if you "like" children you may know why belgian chocolate has a little fame but theres no need to read the adventures of tintin when you have hard boiled at home. if belgium would disappear over night, people wouldnt even recognize that the streets are not lit at night on their way from eindhoven to lille.

Date: March 03, 2010 11:46AM

The germans will properbly see you as the americans starting the 3rd world war and shoot you down with their anti-tescticle guns.

Why are you going it alone izzie ? dont you got friends in the US and A and therefore plans to travel around europe searching for some ?

Posted by: empError ()
Date: March 03, 2010 04:32PM

Hey Izzle,

I've seen that people mention Rome and Vienna a lot, and you asked about Prague. As it happens, I have been in all these cities, so maybe my opinion is worth something. Living in the Netherlands, I know a little about Amsterdam too (although I've only had one day trips there).

I'd say Rome is a must-see, if you like history. The colosseum is just an impressive building that has few equals. And nearby there is the Palladino, the oldest part of Rome, with many ruins of triumph arcs and palaces. And many, many other sites from ancient Rome, such as Trajan's pillar, the Pantheon, and the huge therms of Caracalla and Diocletianus (the latter is a museum which I found not so interesting, but the building is quite impressive). Once you're in Rome, you probably would want to visit the Vatican, with the St. Peter, the Vatican museums, and Castel Santangelo.

Rome is quite in the south of Europe, of course, and you might consider just visiting Italy, maybe. Florence (Firenze) is also a nice city, with a famous museum and a famous green cathedral (I forgot the names). And of course you could visit excavations, e.g. of Ostia Antica, near Rome, Pompeii and Ercolaneo (near Naples), and Villa Adriana (near Tivoli, northeast of Rome).

Then the other cities:
Vienna I found quite interesting. It has quite a romantic touch to it, I think, with many carriages pulled by horses driving (riding?) couples around. Vienna is also historic, but of course the history is much more recent than Rome's. It has many gigantic buildings, and it's nice to just walk around the area for some time. Most of these buildings house museums, and I found some quite interesting, others quite disappointing. Other things I visited there were the Kaisersgruft, with tombs of all the former emperors of Austria(-Hungary), the Freud house (I studied psychology, you see. I'd only recommend it if you have a special interest in the guy), and the Spanish riding school. There's also some nice churches.

Prague I found very interesting, and certainly worth visiting for a day or two just to see the attractions there. You have to see the castle there, with a very interesting cathedral (of St. Vitus) inside. I spent a full day there, and found it very impressive, the cathedral in particular. Prague itself has a nice medieval center, worth spending another day. In the west of the town there's a tower (the Petrin tower, a copy of the Eifel tower, I believe) with a nice view over Prague. In the evening, the youth gathers at the banks of the river (Moldau, I believe) for drinks and socializing. I didn't join in, but it looked quite appealing. Personally, I found Prague much nicer than Vienna.

You may also want to consider Budapest. It has some great buildings along the Donau-river, like the Parliament, a heavily guarded building, but you can get tours inside, to see the gold decorations, and the Hungarian crown, dating from the 13th century. At the other side of the Donau, there is a palace (housing a museum) and a kind of fairy-tale castle that looks very nice. There's also a high hill, called the Capitol, with a WWII bunker on top. And there's an island in the Donau river, which must be very nice for relaxing in the summer (I was there in October). I found Budapest more attractive than Vienna, and about as attractive as Prague.

In Amsterdam, besides visiting the red light district, and visiting a coffee shop, if you're into that, you might wanna visit the Rijksmuseum, housing some great paintings by the Dutch masters, like Rembrandt, Jan Steen, and others. There is another museum with Van Gogh paintings, but I haven't seen that myself. There's also the Anne Frank house. I guess I don't have to explain that. The canals (grachten) are also an attraction to foreigners.

Well, that's about what I have to say about these cities. I've also been to Bratislava (Slowakia's capital) for a day, but found that quite disappointing. The best thing about that city is that it is still quite cheap. But even that may have changed, now that they introduced the euro.

I hope this is of some help.

Date: March 03, 2010 05:00PM

Ive been to Amsterdam myself on a school trip . and we visited this Van Gogh museum. Its big. 2 or 3 floors in total but not only with Van Gogh paintings. there were also some of Monet and other great painters.

If you like art this is worth a visit. Its extreme how you can follow and see Van Gogh state of mind through his pictures. just amazing.

PS: Danes are not ghey. The Swedes are.. :)

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.