Gamers' Lounge :  forum
Arrange meeting times for new games, discuss past games and strategies, socialize with other players. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Idea: a 3v3 league
Posted by: acro ()
Date: July 03, 2010 11:51PM

Here's the idea: players sort themselves into teams of up to 5 players and then enter their team into the league.

The entered teams then play each other in a league format - any given two teams playing two games, each playing north once and south once. For each game, the team would obviously need to pick 3 players to play the game.

We'd have to play standard maps, but to save time, no restarts would be allowed - luck would most likely balance out over the season, and if not, tough.

If there is enough interest in this, I will happily organise it, and will start an entry thread soon. I hope that having 5 players in each team would hopefully solve the problem of trying to get everyone on at the same time.

Post below with comments and to express your interest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Idea: a 3v3 league
Posted by: LikeNoOthers ()
Date: July 05, 2010 06:29AM

i would play this! - However, i do not think many others will. :( we would hardly get any teams

Posted by: Rex ()
Date: July 05, 2010 08:25AM

I would 2

Posted by: MrScientist ()
Date: July 05, 2010 09:08AM

Interesting thought yes,
but i would abandon hope of playing equal amount of matches,
because that is never gonna work. Better make a rating system that
takes into account the nr of games the team has played.

Posted by: XuuL ()
Date: July 07, 2010 04:48AM

What about making a "King of the hill"?

Several clans can take part and every week on sunday, the king clan has to defend its title. Rules could be like this...

- Clan = several players in a team (ca. 5)
- Leagues = 1v1, 2v2, 3v3
- Match day every sunday
- The hill clan has to defend its position
- All other clans have the right to challenge it (round-robin-like)
- If the hill clan is not present he loses his position to the challenger

Reward is proud and honour

Posted by: -RIPPE- ()
Date: July 13, 2010 05:20AM

the main problem is to have 2 teams online at the same time, i dont think the 5 player solution is good for that, 20 players would only form 4 teams... while 21 could make 7 teams with 3 player each. maybe xuuls weekend suggestion could work. so saturday and sunday could be league days. 3 player teams should be possible then.
like scientist i think rating would be the way to go but without taking into account on how many games were played, since getting 3 players together could take some time depending on the team. still there is an unquestionable need for statistical overdose so making a set standard form would be quite helpful. the 3 player teams could also play 2 vs 2 games with 1 switchable player, so the teams could play both leagues which would speed up progress, maybe.

and what about the possibility to be in up to 3 diffrent teams at the same time? that would raise the chance of actually having some matches. it would also be nice to have the opportunity to play with diffrent people than being forced to static teams, that exclude more players you like then include.

a short teamname of 6 letters maximum (or a 6 letter shortened tag) would be sweet too to distinguish teams.

Date: July 13, 2010 05:51AM

Although I like the idea of people being in several teams, it makes matches between those teams impossible. Also, if we only get 4 teams and they all play each other twice, that's still 6 games for each team, and then we just start a new season, perhaps with refined rules based on the first experience.

I agree with you that Xuul's idea of a main league-day is probably a good one in any case.

Whatever we do decide to do, it can always be adapted. Perhaps another way around the 'getting 6 people online problem' is to have teams of 3, but they are allowed to use up to one player who is not a member of the team in a game, ie at least two of the three must be present?

Date: July 13, 2010 06:09AM

as people wont be online on a regular base and the difficulties to get even 2 players on one table (think CT) each team fighting each team is extremely hard to work and always fighting the same 3 teams wont get the feeling of diversity and competition or fun at all (at least i think so). also a "league" of 4 teams would be kinda poor dontcha think?

Posted by: Akiran ()
Date: July 13, 2010 06:51AM

im in

M-K

Date: July 13, 2010 08:08AM

What do you think of my other suggestion Rippe, with the possibility of a guest player?

Date: July 13, 2010 10:00AM

i think its a good idea its obvious it is

M-K

Date: July 15, 2010 06:08AM

i think your idea would be cool for tag team people who want to play 2 vs 2 and 3 vs 3 league games. so the constant team would be consisting of only 2 players. writing this, it could be another possibility for a 3 vs 3 league, teams consist only of 2 players the third could switch every game. maybe it would be good to let the third one only play 2 games in a row... ...with this mode the league already had 10 teams if 20 players sign up.

Date: July 15, 2010 06:34AM

Also a good idea Rippe, I think I'm torn between the two (ie 2 player teams or 3 player teams.) One makes games easier to organise (2 out of 3 easier than 2 out of 2), the other gives more teams in the league.

Anyone else care to input?

Date: July 15, 2010 09:15AM

me and demon-king/terrorise are in

M-K

Posted by: UseLess ()
Date: July 15, 2010 11:35PM

Well.. I will let Rippe, Xuul and Acro take care of all the planning :) sure you guys will come up with something that works. Afterall Rippe does have some experience setting up the CT.

since my english is not the best I still have a hard time figuring out how teams should be made and decided, but and correct me if this has already been solved by you guys. That all the Pro's are most likely going to team up and the rest, us decent players, including myself are the leftovers. what fun is there for us if we face a team like Rippe, Xuul and Master. just as an example.. we would get crushed everytime we played..

just a thought. :)

anyways. Im in no matter what. But I will be gone for the next 2 weeks, holiday in Hungary.

Posted by: Scum ()
Date: July 16, 2010 12:30PM

It has been tried and exactly what Useless said happened. DirtyHarry, Master, and Paars all teamed up. I think noone even tried to compete after that. There were a few, but it was pointless.

I think RIPPE had a good idea. Make it teams of 2 players. It makes it so you don't have to agree on a 3rd good player, 2 people just agree they are good as eachother. It also increases the chances both players will be online.

I still think a ladder system needs to be made. The CT is dull because there is only one winner, and that winner has been the same winner every year, and chances are that will be the winner again. The most exciting parts of the CT are the round before, when good players are playing good players. Not when the best plays good players, that is just predictable.

So, I think it's a cool idea, but if I had the time, care, and want that you seem to have, I would put it into keeping up a ladder system so good players will play good players more often, with results.

Date: July 16, 2010 11:59PM

scum, dont be so bitter about your early defeat this year ;) your "every year" is two (2) times to be precise...

since many players would play the league finding the right mode should be done first. sth like 1 point for a lost game, 2 points (x rankfactor) for a won game should do...
there has been no working ladder system so far, it always failed on the factor that people play this game irregular. so a working ladder has to take that into account and dont punish players for inactivity but at the same time support active players by giving this 1 point even when a game is lost. whats also a pain to avoid is those guys that use to top these online ladders just because they have too much time and play often. so in some way wins should be taken into account as well as who in the league has been won over. if there are 15 attending teams e.g., they should be divided into 4 parts with a own factor each. ranks 1 x3.0 2-4 x2.0, 5-10 x1.5 and 11-15 x 1.0. so if you won vs one of these ranks just multiply with that factor, to get the score. the first two weeks should be played without rankfactor
i havnt thought about this in depth so if it all sounds like some crazy bullshit, i completely understand.

Posted by: UseLess ()
Date: July 17, 2010 03:25AM

Any idea when you are going to start this?
I know that it will eventually start when you have done all the planning and that it actually works. But think it will be in August or perhaps later?

Just read the sign up, JD's post about a good team
again I must point out that for this to work we need mixed teams..
JD’s idea for a team, if I understood the post correctly, would be JD
XuuL
Master
Paars
RIPPE
I have not doubt that this would be a good team, but… What fun is there to play these guys if you have no chance at all to even put up a decent fight. I can ofc only speak for myself since I don’t know if anyone else sees this as a problem. But after a few fights losing over and over again I would lose hope and my fighting spirit causing me to leave this Tournament, League whatever you call it..
So please when all other things have been sorted out could some of you guys take a look at this and see if there could be found a solution. Don’t know if it would be possible to decide teams randomly somehow

Posted by: LikeNoOthers ()
Date: July 17, 2010 05:57AM

i kinda agree, Useless.. It would be nice to get some mixed teams, but still i do not want to be with 4 idiots.. (even though there might not be that many on Conqueror).

Posted by: MrScientist ()
Date: July 17, 2010 10:48PM

i would keep it to 3 players: enough teams and enough to make a team with 3.
For the rating, maybe it is possible to use some sort of existing
rating system. For example [en.wikipedia.org]
but more simpler ones would do also of course.
And I'm in between with the 'randomizing' players. I get the point but as lno
says, you should be able to play with whoever you like. And even if it were to lead to the xuul-paars-master-rippe team, i still think there will be enough teams to give them opposition. The 3v3's are always more even (and a bit more about luck also.) Master and Harry always play 2v2 together and still people like to play with them.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.