Gamers' Lounge :  forum
Arrange meeting times for new games, discuss past games and strategies, socialize with other players. 
A new type of team game
Posted by: acro ()
Date: August 24, 2010 05:38AM

Title: Assassination
Players: 5
Map: 4 corners + 1 middle, like 5 on a die (eg. Ulster Grenada Lithuania Nicaea Helvetica)

Gameplay: The 5 players are split into 2 teams, one of 3 and one of 2, with the middle as part of the 3. (eg. Ulster Grenada Helvetica vs Lithuania Nicaea) The team of 2 then tries to take the capital of the centre player (eg Helvetica), and the team of 3 has to stop them. If the cap falls, the game is over. Otherwise, it carries on until the assassins no longer have a chance to try to take the cap.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A new type of team game
Posted by: Roddy ()
Date: August 24, 2010 11:06AM

This is a great idea acro and i enjoyed playing the 3v2 the idea evolved from.

KrazyKat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2010 11:08AM by roddy.

Posted by: live4games ()
Date: August 24, 2010 12:16PM

well, i also enjoyed the game we played but only bc we had a noob in the middle so i had something to do. with a good player there the team 2 has no chance to take there cap. but thats just me. report if u play assassination again and tell me who won and wich player was in the middle :P. maybe it works with a diffrent map.. /like: podilia greece vs helveticia grenada ulster/ both are 4 lands away of helv.

Date: August 24, 2010 10:07PM

Sure, just like we had to experiment with different 3v3 maps when we first started playing 3v3, it'll take a bit of testing to see what a good map is. Just try out a few things and see what's fun.

Posted by: Akiran ()
Date: August 25, 2010 12:48PM

i like wish i was there when the 3v3 expirements took place and btw im only gonna be on on sunday and saturday maybe friday from nowon till a break from school k

Posted by: live4games ()
Date: August 25, 2010 02:40PM

well the 2. assassinations game was more fun. it was natolia muscovy and rhine(with a +2 dev in austria) versus ulster and grenada. ulster had bad lands/start and attacked rhine very late and muscovy was very fast and very big. but grenada did really nice and was close to kill rhineland and natolia tried to hold him back a little but rhine could hold him back and muscovy killed ulster so the asssassins gave up. i think this game would work better if muscovy and grenada are the assassins, but thats just me!!!

Posted by: Scum ()
Date: August 25, 2010 03:43PM

You could pretty much make this a 2v2 with a very centered country. Any good player with that center country would win. I don't see how adding 3v2 to the country that would win anyways is at all a challenge. Just giving the side with an advantage an extra 5 moves.

Maybe try putting the middle with the 2 side. Grenada/Helvetica vs. Muscovy/Nicaea/Ulster. I think it would be more challenging that way.

Otherwise, I think you will find in any equally skilled game that the 3 side will win, no matter the map.

I haven't played this though and I haven't played for awhile, so I could be very wrong. It just seemed odd to me when I was reading that the middle went to the 3 side and not the 2 because I think having a middle territory is an advantage, not a disadvantage.

Date: August 25, 2010 11:52PM

In a team game if all of your lands are closer to the middle, it's a massive advantage as you have more backlands. When just one land is much closer to the middle, it can be a double-edged sword: it gives your team more backlands, but it also gives the opposing team the chance to focus all their efforts on the front player to reduce the number of enemies.

eg. Ulster Denmark Muscovy vs Gascony Genoa Bulgaria - north should have no chance

Ulster Denamrk Muscovy vs Grenada Belgium Nicaea - if Belgium survives long enough, north again should lose, but if they can kill off Belgium it's a 3v2 and they're looking good.

What I've tried to do is use this idea to create a feasible objective-based game that will give some variety. In the 2 games I've played so far both have been very close and quite tense throughout, so it seems it may work.

On your idea of a 2v1v2 (if I interpreted it right), my first thought was that the 1 would be quickly annihilated (which he could well be), but with a bit of diplomacy it might be interesting. Each of the teams of 2 wants to focus on the real enemy, and so might be willing to make land concessions for assurances that the 1 won't attack them so they can focus on the other 2. But after thinking I still think the 1's chances of victory look very slim. If you want to play it sometime you can be the 1 and I'd be happy to see you prove me wrong.

Even if this particular suggestion doesn't work out, it's nice to stimulate some thought among others about other game modes that could be fun: I don't think 3v3, 2v2 and 1v1 are the only options available to us.

Posted by: Squeegie ()
Date: August 26, 2010 11:26AM

3v3, 2v2, 1v1 and the mighty 4v4 :)

I'm thinking perhaps restrictions on building would make for a fun 3v3.

Primitive Warfare: You can only own a total of 6 developed lands (+ those you conquer from the enemies) and no advanced lands.

Fun with Forts: Before you can develop a land it must have a fort. Before you can advance it it must have a keep.

I can think of some others that might be fun, but they would be too hard to stick to the rules and/or make sure everyone else sticks to the rules.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.