Advanced Farming
Posted by: Squeegie ()
Date: February 14, 2014 03:47AM

When should you continue to farm advanced lands? This has been a weakness in my game, but I have made great strides recently to improve.

For farming/developing lands prior to advancement, I defer you to Paar's Strategy Guide also in this forum.

Some thoughts:
If a farm takes 1 turn, build the farm (some exceptions should be made for front lands where you need troops immediately).
If a farm takes 3 turns, don't build it.

That leaves the gray area, 2 turn farms.

If a farm takes 2 turns, keep in mind that in general a farm serves 1 of 2 main production purposes:
-More Coin Per Turn
-More Troops Per Turn (both the number it naturally builds and the additional number you can buy)

Coin: Remember that taking 2 turns to build a farm essentially costs you 2 turns worth of coin production ($70 for a 60k+0). And each farm raises your coin production by $6. So it takes you 14 turns to recoup your investment on a 60k+0 land (2 turns to build + 12 turns coining). It takes longer on bigger lands or +1/+2 lands to recoup your investment because you give up more $$ during the 2 turns it takes to build the farm and your return is still only $6/turn.

Now consider what that $70+ could have done early in the game (buy dev/adv in front lands or buy troops to take more land) vs what the $6/turn will do for you later in the game. In general earlier game coin is much more valuable than later game coin. Thus I stray away from farming lands that I use for coin.

Troops: Troops near your front lines are essential. If your opponent can make 30 troops/turn in the front while you can only make 25/turn, you will lose ground.

In order to farm front lands without allowing your opponent to overtake you due to reduced troop levels... You should build alot of troops in the lands behind your front lands the turns prior to farming. Then while you're farming you can move those troops forward to protect your land. Once farming is complete, you can continue marching toward the enemy cap with increased troop production.

*in addition to more troops, you also get the slight advantage of that land supporting 1 more troop every winter. This will save you a little $$.
----
One other non-production reason to farm:
Spreading Influence: Once a land is developed/advanced AND Supportive or Devoted, it will spread your influence to neighbor lands. Larger lands spread influence quicker. So I often build/buy farms in front lands once they are Supportive to spread influence quicker even if I don't plan on using them for troops in the future.

Note: Farming lands that are not devoted will actually slow down their devotion because larger lands take longer to devote.

Re: Advanced Farming
Posted by: sixamplayer ()
Date: February 14, 2014 07:35AM

Nice Squeeg I was going to make a post yesterday in regards to advanced tactics for experienced players to add to but this works just fine. I never did hit the post message button since I had to leave for work.

Posted by: Fenix ()
Date: February 14, 2014 08:02AM

Gotta confess, I have a habit of (over)farming when I can sneak some in although recently I've been doing too much of that than usual instead of focusing on troops.

I think the hardest thing to understand for newbs is that farming is not always the best, *efficient* thing to do since overall you'd be losing out on production since the gain is not enough to cover the missing quota.

Plus, since newbs mostly don't play in Team Games and/or pro's & veterans, they don't fully understand the idea of early pressure that forces them to stop farming and deploy enough troops. Also another habit I notice newbs (including myself) like to do is send all troops out when attacking/defending making them vulnerable to counter-attacks.

Posted by: LikeNoOthers ()
Date: February 15, 2014 06:56AM

I might be known for my farming in all modes. And its due to one reason only. I've developed a way to get as many units out in spring, whilst having few units in winter, due to mannagement upon reaching 3 turns per farm. So take all you can from this post, but always develope your own tactics.

EDIT: I've also developed a way to properly farm front and backlands. Could perhaps make a post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2014 06:58AM by LikeNoOthers.

Posted by: Akiran ()
Date: February 15, 2014 06:41PM

Jeesh Guyz I wich I waz az smart az you guyz.

M-K

Posted by: Squeegie ()
Date: February 16, 2014 08:30AM

LNO, Looking forward to your post!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2014 08:30AM by Squeegie.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.