Gamers' Lounge :  Conqueror! Forum
Arrange meeting times for new games, discuss past games and strategies, socialize with other players. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Your opinion: Satisfied, "Meh" or Moving on?
Posted by: Fenix ()
Date: July 11, 2014 06:50PM

So a short intro, I'm Fenix aka InXaNity and I used to play Conqueror quite a lot (addicted) during late 2013-2014. I haven't been playing Conqueror as much of late now ("retired"), and the few times I've popped in you could only find (decent) games at around 5-10 pm UTC/GMT everyday and then, you can expect to play 4-5 games max before most log off and call it a night.

Now while I'm quite fond of this game, which is very much like Risk, I feel sad that the player-base / community is only limited to 10-20 people max that participate in multiplayer games.

A great example is how the standard of a decent game requires it to be a team-game of some sort, whether it's a full game or part-AI. What ever happened to FFA's? Why is it neglected by many with the few exceptions a group of friends play it together and even then, it's usually a long game or not competitive like team games. Imho, the reason for that is not many find it worth it to play FFA competitively due to time constraints.

In short, I feel unsatisfied that the potential of Conqueror has stays stagnant, limited to a cult following of enthusiasts that have stayed over the years whereas the rest drifts off and rarely comes back. Since I realize the situation has been this way with little change for quite a while now, and since this is a small indie project, I can't expect to change it (yes, I had planned to do a few things that I put off as I contemplated the low demand).

So now, out of curiosity, I want to know what's everyone's opinion on Conqueror's current state, don't really care one way or another, if they've moved on to other similar turn-based strategy games, and if so, what?

I've recently stumbled upon what's basically an online version of Risk but with custom settings and built-in features that fosters a thriving community for multi-player games: WarLight. Some notable features are multi-day games that gives you hours or even days to submit your turns and timers don't time out and automatically move onto the next turn, leveling & achievement system, hundreds of custom-made maps with a mapmaking tool, competitive ladder system, and even community events like clan wars or hundred-player tournaments with big ones getting livestreamed. It's an indie game as well tho so the User Interface and design isn't anything fancy or big-budget but it's got the important things down including mobile app for Android and iOS.

If you'd like to give it a try I'd like to shamelessly do a bit of self-promotion with a referral link (that'll obviously give me a bonus when you sign up with it):

[WarLight.net]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2014 07:11PM by Fenix.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Your opinion: Satisfied, "Meh" or Moving on?
Posted by: -RIPPE- ()
Date: July 14, 2014 12:05PM

i think conquerorgame is a unique internet underground gem. the premise that it is completely free without any financial interests whatsoever still offering excellent multiplayer gaming is quite uniqe as far as i know. the game against experienced players is challanging and rewarding. and meeting veterans every now and then is as fun as meeting new guys growing strong. another nice feature is that you can play it from all over the world and meet known names pretty often. so i thinks its a unique gem you somehow always come back to. i also like its quite mature and international audience and the abundance of overmoderating. the community kinda moderates itself and it works out quite ok i think. only thing i really dislike is some kind of elitism under some of the more experienced players. they simply forgot that they also started at 0 and had to go through the school of defeat, but thats a personality issue that cannot be changed i guess.

the only thing i would change instantly, is the singleplayer option, it has split the community and led to the decay of FFAs. cut singleplayer and the game is back where it should be.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2014 12:13PM by -RIPPE-.

Posted by: Fenix ()
Date: July 15, 2014 11:53PM

Well, I'd like to point out that the freemium model & advertisements is how the internet stays viable and products continue development. I wouldn't classify 5-10+ games in lobby a day as "excellent multiplayer gaming" and while you can play it practically anywhere, browser-based games isn't a new concept.

I'd like to dispute that playing against veterans is not "challenging and rewarding". it usually leads to loss and frustration; quite often I see it causes new players to get discouraged and lack confidence in continuing to take part in team games for that reason. Take for example Paars' guide; even though most of it's points are still valid, it was written years ago. The forums (and community) can stay dead w/o any posts for months on end. I mean, the tournament from 2013 still hasn't been completed right?

And recently I think it was early January-Feb there was a spammer that bloated the forums with redundant threads advertising in multiple languages. Neither XuuL nor ibg could regulate it, only Alexey was able to fix it and the spammer still resurfaced afterwards, probably with different IPs and spam accounts.

So, while I am kinda criticizing here, I'm trying to be realistic and hopefully open up more discussion since the above post looked like more of an advertisement to me ^

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2014 11:56PM by Fenix.

Date: July 16, 2014 08:09AM

concerning rewarding i was speaking from my point of view, of course newbs wont mess easily with experienced players, but thats how it is. you cant expect to beat a chessgrandmaster in the first game you play against him. i have noob blood all over my fists and feet.
i would classify this as excellent multiplayer gaming you know why? because no one fucking comes and tells you what to do. you are kinda free here. no money greed bullshit, just plain and simple gaming.
this game aint mainstream so you cannot measure in mainstream scale. no dlcs, no merchandise, no rip off. finest old school brew. there are two humans (or more) connected by a cable somewhere on this planet playing a simple game. thats what its all about. no annoying baby voices from your headphones.

the thing is if there is something you dont like, change it. write a new guide, make tutorial videos, dont just brag about it.

i as the host of the CT2013 still got an eye on it and will continue to support it, even if it takes another year lol!

actually after the early years forum fights, people have just relaxed a bit. now is just a calm phase, its like on the ocean, theres not always a storm. captain planet is off saving virgins on some neighbour planet, izzlekizzle is busy making cash for coke, xuul is still off, searching for clean underwear and jenny, yeah jenny lost her troops in winter.
the players of this game still move, look at gratis, stronger than ever or rex double accounting until he realizes he could as well triple account! and attila, conqs very own internet retard! playing with one eye on the screen and one eye watching primary schoolkids with his telescope.
as you see its all ok and there are warriors lingering in the shadow, waiting to make their move, they just have to stop playing single player.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2014 08:26AM by -RIPPE-.

Posted by: LikeNoOthers ()
Date: July 19, 2014 08:39AM

An amusing post Rippe, and i completly agree with your points.

As a person who has also played warlight, i know what you ment too Fenix.

However, here are some points, that make me never play warlight alone (only when all my friends do), is this:

You have unlimited moves. (fair enough, considering some maps are huge, but on smaller maps, it removes much of the strategy like Conq's)

You can but your units whereever you want (Yes, there is a setting that removes this, however i've yet to play a game with it)

It is argueably decided in "chose starting lands", as you half the time, start up at atleast 1-3 players, often making you fight from turn 1 (Perhaps another setting to set starting places like in conq, i have not hosted a game yet)

No penalty for getting bigger (except the other players teaming up on you in ffa), but no supply cost, no units production penalty. Which means its kinda not possible to really outplay in this game.

Not many possible strategies available. (like in conqueror, where you have to choose between farming, income, soldiers, and heck i'll say it, fortifications)

All this aside. The game is much easier to learn, which does mean more will usually come to it. It also has the possibility of custom maps, which makes the game alot bigger! *hint hint Alexey and XuuL*

Posted by: IzzleKizzle ()
Date: August 11, 2014 11:49PM

I just stopped by here to say this.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hallali ()
Date: September 27, 2014 05:54PM

OMG. On the second evening with some time for my own I cast a look on the conq forum and clicked on Izzies link. Now my brain hurts. Man...

Date: October 03, 2014 03:43PM

Hallali. What's up with this though?

[www.youtube.com]

Apparently this is what you do to drunk girls in Germany? Looks like fun.

Posted by: Deidara ()
Date: December 12, 2014 01:31AM

Hi guys I'm Deidara, aka Sasori and I've played this game since....2007? haha I only played once or twice in the last 2 years but I'm back and I'm in the lobby quite often recently. I gotta agree with Fenix, it really is hard to get a team game going and when I do get to play one it's just 1 game a day, maybe because I live in New Zealand and that's like the opposite time of day to many of the european players.

Right now in the lobby is 11 players which is what I usually see in the lobby and only 2 people are active playing in a 1v1. There is not a single name that I recognise, whereas before I use to recognise maybe like 3-5 names e.g Reynold and krazykat were on quite often. Seriously I miss all the old players/players that come on regularly and up for teamgames. Now that the AIs are stronger, so many players are choosing to play against AIs instead of having awesome teammates to fight as a team with.

Please LNO, Squee, Fenix and everyone here, come back! This game is just not the same without you guys. :'(

Date: December 24, 2014 08:53AM

I'll probly never leave this game entirely, however, i do find other games more tempting.

Date: December 25, 2014 02:55PM

Merry Christmas!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Deidara ()
Date: December 25, 2014 05:22PM

Other games as in? I would like to try other games

Date: December 30, 2014 11:37AM

Well, mostly strategic games. But also the more common "allknown" league of legends.
In strategy games stuff like Total war series, xcom, Civ5 are very good games, with, sadly, a bit more to them than this game :)

Posted by: Akiran ()
Date: January 21, 2015 02:31AM

I keep coming back to this game. No matter what happens, conqueror has a flare to it that no others have. The community, the unbalanced team games that usually are decided by turn 36, when my 7 take 15 armies. I just don't know what it is. This game has so much potential. It's just too obscure, too overshadowed. Most importantly lack of communication hurts. Well maybe it's just when i'm on.

Want to see this game back to the golden age when I kept losing in Castile and Aragon to freaking Gratis, and Rex. I love this game. I cheat on it and get bored with it, but this game deserves better than my love.

M-K

Posted by: Gratis ()
Date: February 15, 2015 11:42AM

I'm playing quite often again :) See ya on the battlefield.

Posted by: Roddy ()
Date: April 01, 2015 04:22PM

Moving on.

I have played this game for a long time now on and off, and thoroughly enjoyed it and had many good times, but today it has just died stone cold dead for me.

That new map is an affront and an abomination, i am Scottish and was horrified to see my Nation be chopped in half and taken over by the English region of Northumbria. I am surprised at the strength of my reaction but it has literally made feel sick and completely disenfranchised me from the game.

I am a nationalist but a civic nationalist and have no problems whatsoever with immigration, race, creed, religion or feel that my country is better than any other, i am just proud of where i come from.

I am aware that the game was never really totally historically accurate but it had a certain old world feel about it that is now gone with this bogus geography.

Apologies for this long winded resignation/rant but i felt the need to type it out, who knows, some day i may calm down and return but the way i feel right now that is not gonna happen.

So long friends
Thanks again for the good times

KrazyKat

Date: April 01, 2015 05:04PM

a civic nationalist? muhahaha! if it just wasnt 1st of april...

Date: April 01, 2015 06:22PM

-RIPPE- Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> a civic nationalist? muhahaha! if it just wasnt
> 1st of april...

Why i said civic nationalist is to distinguish myself from other types of nationalism which is about small minded hatred that is rife in much of Europe just now, Pegida, Front national , Golden Dawn etc

From wiki: Civic nationalism is a kind of nationalism identified by political philosophers who believe in a non-xenophobic form of nationalism compatible with values of freedom, tolerance, equality, and individual rights

KrazyKat

Date: April 01, 2015 07:45PM

oh, someone made it a wiki article, LOL! children theses days... how about this article to protect the tiny world in your head: [en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2015 07:46PM by -RIPPE-.

Date: April 01, 2015 09:10PM

I don't see anything in what i said that is "tin foil hat " material

KrazyKat

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.