[WIP] Fenix's Comprehensive Guide to Conqueror
Posted by: Fenix ()
Date: November 09, 2016 06:07AM

So I'm making an updated guide to Conqueror which I've had an idea for ages now. You can read it here [docs.google.com] and a complementary image guide I made here [imgur.com]

Both are still very much incomplete and I plan to add much, much more to it when I have the time, perhaps during the weekends. The image guide will be subject to change once I add more details so you might see some differences later.

My plan is to add an Advanced Strategy section near the end of the guide where I'll take apart play styles of several players I've analyzed and others who are willing to contribute their own strategies. Once I've finished a rough draft of the guide I'll include a change log and make a post in this thread every time I add something to it, but right now it's still being worked on.

Let me know your thoughts and any constructive criticism is welcome, however, keep in mind the guide is still a work-in-progress. Thanks.

Re: [WIP] Fenix's Comprehensive Guide to Conqueror
Posted by: Gratis ()
Date: November 10, 2016 05:00AM

Uu-la-laa +1. Very nice. I'll take a closer look later.

Date: November 10, 2016 08:27AM

Yeah, it's pretty much still a mess atm. I haven't organized or formatted it properly so everything is still rough and hard to read through. If you do have any suggestions though, I'd love to hear them. zzz's been helping me with corrections and filling in the neutral land production time tables.

Date: November 10, 2016 04:38PM

Update on 11/10: Wanted to keep track of what I'm writing for others to check so I'll be posting daily updates here, at least until I've written up a change log.

A slower pace compared to yesterday, I've been pretty busy and only managed to finish up 1/3 of the "Early Game" section, with "Proper Land Management" still yet to be done. I also edited many other paragraphs and tried to cut down on redundant information. The total page count is now up to 13 pages from yesterday's 10. I did some added some more stuff yesterday night after work since it was easy to write.

Gratis helped test out the formula for Castle reducing troop upkeep. I first assumed it was a flat -1 gold/troop, based on XuuL's original patch notes on Castles. zzz pointed out the flaw with that and theorized it was the upkeep divided by 2, rounded down. Turns out from Gratis' tests it's -2 gold/troop. Will use that until I can confirm many things with XuuL regarding the game mechanics.

I'm too tired to continue today, though hopefully come weekend I can really get into a writing jam. Any feedback is appreciated, though I know it's pretty daunting to parse the doc atm. Don't worry though, I have plans to make a shorter, summary version once I'm done, and I'll be organizing it so it's easier to find the topic you're interested in from the Table of Contents.

That's it for now, g'nite folks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2016 04:41PM by Fenix.

Date: November 11, 2016 08:09AM

Update 11/11: So XuuL just updated the game to 1.6.0 and it included a tutorial and in-game adviser with the logic based on strong AI. The tutorial forced me to re-evaluate everything I've written so far for the guide. The way it is now has become bloated with details that regular players have trouble navigating, never mind newer players. So I'll be rewriting it, though not from scratch.

Thanks for the great update XuuL :D

Date: December 27, 2016 05:04AM

Update 12/26: I'm back to work on the guide. Will try to finish it before the year ends.

Date: December 31, 2016 09:04AM

Update 31/12: Managed to get in a few hours to polish up and edit the guide. I've covered everything you can think of for 'Introduction' and 'The Basics' sections. The only remaining work left there is to edit out my the horribly convoluted old parts of The Basics section I wrote in November. That should only take a few hours.

Afterwards, I'll start working on the meat of the guide, from opening strategy to farming strats. I've found that farming to 100k has become popular again. It certainly is required in the current 2vs2 meta. Anyways, I disgress. The unfortunate point is that I was unable to finish the Guide by 2016.

On the questionably bright side, one of my New Year Resolutions is to finally finish the damn thing. Barring any changes in schedule, I'll put out a tentative deadline of Feb 2016 or earlier.

Edit: For those worried that the Guide still looks too thick, do not despair! I will be using simpler language for the Strategy section so anyone *cough* (lazy people) can understand, I pinky pwomise! ;)
The Basics section is long because it needs to be complete. This is supposed to be comprehensive, after all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2016 09:31AM by Fenix.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.