Gamers' Lounge :  Conqueror! Forum
Arrange meeting times for new games, discuss past games and strategies, socialize with other players. 
Capturing AI capital...is this even possible?
Posted by: Jon ()
Date: July 17, 2007 01:09AM

Why has it become so difficult to capture an AI's capital? It's ridiculously difficult. If you attack the AI capital (say it has 9 armies) with two armies the same size, the AI only loses 2 armies in either attack and you have no chance of capturing it decisively. The odds should not be this unfavourable to the attacker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Capturing AI capital...is this even possible?
Posted by: Captain Planet ()
Date: July 17, 2007 05:51PM

What I get from this is that you are requesting the game be made similar. Or was it just a statement?

He is in a fort and you should attack in one swift strike.

Posted by: zoltroc ()
Date: July 18, 2007 09:32AM

Captain Planet: From the instructions attacking in one blow of 18 or 2 blows of 9 has no difference.

Jon: Basically Jon what it comes down to, is you got screwed on the battle field. Maybe your general staff didn't have enough sleep the night before and couldn't make the right decisions during the battle. In theory you should have won on the second battle. Although since the first battle you got screwed on and they only lost 2 troops it really stacked the odds against you for your second attack.

If you would simulate this battle more than once you would find that you would win probably 80-90% of the time. Unfortunately this time the odds just didn't go in your favor.

I've never had any problems taking out an enemies capital when I want to and have the capabilities. remember that any armies not in a fort only have odds in their favor slightly 11:10 odds versus armies in a fort that have 16:10 odds against you and they get worse if he is in a keep 21:10 or castle 31:10 (or it is something like that. Its difficult to say since the instructions are not very clear on the math.) So if the ai is on 9 armies and only in a fort (what they usually start with) you can anticipate that 5 armies are in a fort and 4 outside. So in theory to kill the 4 armies outside the fort you would need 4.4 armies and to kill the ones inside the fort you would need about 8. So over all to make the odds 50% chance that you take it you would have to attack with at least 12.4 armies. Remembrer that attacking with 13 armies doesn't guarentee victory as no battle is 100% gaurenteed.

Basically the statistics and odds were in your favor but even a blind dog gets a bone every now and then. The odds of you losing (I didn't work all the math out and this is a rough guess) was something on the order of you flipping a coin 3 times and all you have to do is get heads once out of any three of those flips. Unfortunately when you went to flip the last 3 times you got tails on all 3 and lost. Does this somewhat make sense?

Posted by: Captain Planet ()
Date: July 19, 2007 10:31PM

From the instructions maybe you are right but from experience I find attacking in one large force more effective.

Posted by: : ()
Date: July 20, 2007 04:31AM

It's in fort so just attack once..

Posted by: Igna ()
Date: August 05, 2007 12:03PM

Attacking once IS better than attacking twice. If you attack twice, in the downtime they can rebuild their army. If you attack twice it ends up being 9+9 vs 9+9, whereas if you attack once it's 18 vs 9.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.