Re: Strategy's of Paars.
Posted by: jenny ()
Date: August 05, 2008 01:30PM

dang paars u r a genius, but really theres no need to flaunt it keep ur ideas to yourself and u will win all the games, people will be amazed by your SKillz and ull have time to go out for a drink... hehe thats just my thoughts u r to smart for ur own good
anyways its always great to have ur logic in the game and welcome back!!! cant wait to play wiht you!

Posted by: Adriano ()
Date: August 07, 2008 05:50AM

This is excellent stuff Paars.

I have 1 minor thing that has been bugging me lately, since i've been using your development strategy and pay more attention to production/ # of rounds to complete stuff. How can a land have the same production when devote and rebellious? Namely: 30k dev +1, farm ALWAYS takes 2 turns.
I mean production when devote should be twice, so, what's the deal here?

Posted by: DirtyHarry ()
Date: August 08, 2008 04:31AM

Once I was criticized for using "strategy's of Paars" - It was a player called "Attila" who said that I was pathetic and unoriginal in my playing style, because I used the same approach for the build up. Harsh words for a man who was known for playing and playing and never improving. So I guess that all of you suckers who does the same as me are just as unoriginally and pathetic as me - so join the fucking club. I just wanna add to all this, that it wasn't Paars who invented all this strategy's - as far as I know the basics of much of this comes from, or at least is inspired from, players like Hmmm and Xuul. And for the information, if Attila somehow should read this(one never knows) then we were many who used this before it was written in the forum. I dont write this because I think Paars is trying to take credit for this, but because I have had some funny episodes with people saying/asking if uses his strategy's. My standard answer is always that I use my own strategy - it's always depending an countries available, resources, enemies, teammates, start positions - my teammates starts/and their start positions, and not to mention luck - in other words - adapting to every situation in a way I see fit - often in coordination with my teammates.

Posted by: Paars ()
Date: August 08, 2008 04:41AM

Correct, I'm not the first to be doing these strategy's completely however, I watched people build up to 60k developped and it made sense, so i started trying that and trying 70k for +1.And then i perfected it (for myself) and wrote it down so other people can use it. But these ARE just basics everyone puts his own flavor to it.

Date: August 08, 2008 09:26PM

Haha that dude sure pissed of a lot of people, you are about the tenth person I hear complain about him, Harry :)

BTW a few confused individuals (like GenPatton and Jenny, hmmm, well, that's about it) think I am him (Attila).

I agree that adapting to the situation is necessary, just following the guide blindly doesn't work either (although it's better than nothing), for example in the early game I sometimes advance a +1 land in a strategic place at 40k instead of 70k. It's one more round but the influence effect of the earlier advancement can make it pay off.

Posted by: Master ()
Date: August 09, 2008 02:36AM

If a country is culture 2 (dev) and devoted then it is enough.

Date: August 13, 2008 02:24AM

Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If a country is culture 2 (dev) and devoted then
> it is enough.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing here, but I'll explain with an example. Say I'm in Nicaea, so Macedonia with it's many borders is a crucial land in any game setup. If it's +1 primitive when I take it, it will probably be devoted, or at least supportive, by the time it develops, so i would build to 70k (1/2 turns at this influence level) and then advance, but if it's +1 dev when I take it, it won't get devoted so quickly, unless Greece and/or Byzantium are very good, and I will most likely advance it at 40k (probably buying the last few rounds), so that it will spread influence quicker. All I'm saying here is it that the "guide" offers good general guidelines, but it's the specific circumstances that often require a different approach.

Date: August 13, 2008 04:54AM

adriano i am not a confused individual you admitted to me that u were attila in a 2v 2 with u and lance in the west does that jog ur memory? u cant back pedal outr of this one baby nor will u change my mind so that said u are attila end of story!

Date: August 14, 2008 05:18AM

LOL I never said that, you are indeed one troubled lady, you are either just making this up or completely misunderstood something I said, which is not quite improbable considering your frequent state of drunkenness :p

If only I would know why this is so important to you, and why you are so obsessed with this guy ^^

I mean if I would be him? Then what? I'm not, but who cares? Get a life girl. Or go eat some burgers, many of your fellow Americans find that and adequate substitute :p

Posted by: soccer5432 ()
Date: August 15, 2008 04:13AM

Seeing as she is getting married im pretty sure she has a life. also seeing as she aint a fat american i think u can shove your burger comment up you ass. As an american myself i take offense to ppl making random slures against us. there are many many problems with the country right now but for a comment like that i just laugh! Look around u and see how much of your life/country/society is influence by america!!! whether u like it or not america and its way of living and its trends are desired by the majority of the world!!!! dont argue that the desire is not tere otherwise companies wouldnt make or invest the money they do in the rest of the world!!!
That being said i am pissed with america and the way its political system is right now but every country has it faults. Your remark had nothing to do with the country as it is a random generalization which some may take an offense to. so wage your war with JENNY not where she lives or what her diet might be. I suggest u find a girl...if you are a girl than i suggest u find a girl!
I have nothing else against u i just hate seeing these types of comments no matter if its about america or not.

Posted by: soccer5432 ()
Date: August 15, 2008 04:14AM

o and plz dont be one of thoses little prics correcting ppls spelling and such as this is just a msg board and some fast writing

Posted by: Paars ()
Date: August 15, 2008 04:19AM

However, all of you take the crap out of my topic lol.

Date: August 15, 2008 04:47AM

thanks soccer and sorry paars u know theres only one person who pisses me off in this game, i am sorry it needed to distract from the brillance of ur conqueror theories!

Posted by: -RIPPE- ()
Date: August 15, 2008 10:47PM

i liked the burger comment, sorry paars.

Date: August 16, 2008 02:24AM

Well I'll do Paars the favor and consider this off-topic closed, no matter how many times Jenny wants to revive it. As I said everything should believe whatever they want, I don't really give a rat's rectum, but sometimes it's just fun to mess around with these people's heads :)

For example Soccer, you should not take a pun directed at someone else personally. Unless you would like to be something worse than an American. An American with the sense of humour of a German :p Sory Rippe, you must be the exception that proves the rule :p

Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: August 30, 2008 08:33AM

Thanks Paars for pointing me to this thread.

It's interesting to see that the strategy you outlined is almost identical to the one I've been using for a very long time (I've been away for a while so some may not remember me) with two differences. The first difference is that I tend to advance developed countries with +1 res much faster than at 70k. I usually advance them at 40k but ony when I'm not in a conflict yet (or immediate danger of one). The advantage of this is that it actually takes one turn less to get to 60k advanced. However, I see the benefit of advancing later (70k as you suggested) so this country is not caught up in making culture for too long but can be used, if need be, to make armies or gold.

The second difference is that I never make diplomats. At least in older versions, armies had the same revolt reducing abilities as diplomats, were as costly to make but could also fight. The only advantage of diplomats was that they cost no taxes. Now in more recent builds the positive effect of diplomats may have improved so I will give them also a try. But I'm still rather skeptical about the use of them.

One thing not discussed with your strategy is the use of forts. Only on the rarest of occasions do I build them as I see them as a total waste of effort. First, though they may protect you to some extend, if conquered by an opponent countries with a fort (or worse) are just harder to reconquer. So then you basically not only just lost a country, you also gave momentum to your opponent. Secondly, when building forts, you're actually wasting time building something that could have been better used on something more powerful like farms, armies or gold. These are, especially in fast team games, much much more powerful resources. Forts can however be an important part of early attacks. If you can conquer a gray country early on at a strategic location with a fort in it and with few armies in it (so it's easy to conquer), this country can become an important base for attacks on your opponent. So it can be useful to conquer lands with forts but it is in my opinion a waste of turns to build them.

Posted by: Master ()
Date: August 30, 2008 09:26AM

It is actually just as fast to advance at 40 k +1, 50 k +1 or 60 k +1. However it is 1 turn faster to advance at 70 k +1.

40 k +1 : 5 turns to build culture and 3 turns to build 2 farms = 8 turns.
50 k +1 : 4 turns to build 2 farms and 4 turns to build culture = 8 turns.
60 k +1: again 4 turns to build 2 farms and 4 turns to build culture = 8 turns.

70 k +1: 6 turns to build 3 farms but only 3 turns to build culture = 9 turns.

Posted by: LikeNoOthers ()
Date: December 09, 2008 03:59AM

Paars, u said u would tell how to rush from Ulster. :P

Posted by: Lancelot ()
Date: December 09, 2008 01:51PM

After the tournament he will:)

Posted by: Captain Planet ()
Date: December 09, 2008 04:03PM

I advise building a huge army and defeat one of these suckers who'll develop for you, but that's just my opinion and it all depends on the situation at the time and adaptaing to it...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.