Gamers' Lounge :  Conqueror! Forum
Arrange meeting times for new games, discuss past games and strategies, socialize with other players. 
intelligent players
Posted by: Master ()
Date: December 20, 2008 10:30PM

Nominate the best fighter in conqueror.
This is not the best conqueror player but the smartest fighter.

I would like to nominate: Rippe, Xuul and Paars.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: intelligent players
Posted by: XuuL ()
Date: December 21, 2008 12:53PM

i nominate rippe and master!

Posted by: XuuL ()
Date: December 21, 2008 12:55PM

ah and dont forget squeegie.. he is crazy in begin of a game

Date: December 21, 2008 09:26PM

Squeegie is definitely a good candidate for the title.
Neo, Nelson and Deboer make smart moves as well.

Posted by: Paars ()
Date: December 24, 2008 06:11PM

Well another win for Master;).

Anyway, theres a bunch of people out there who make good moves. Rippe, when playing serously has(had) the most interesting ones.

Posted by: -RIPPE- ()
Date: December 26, 2008 07:05AM

master is champion.

Posted by: Dizzy ()
Date: December 30, 2008 07:41PM

i would pick Squeegie
An intelligent player.

Date: January 03, 2009 10:28PM

Intelligent is actually the wrong word.
The best fighter (fighter instinct) would be more appropriate.

Posted by: soccer ()
Date: January 11, 2009 06:58AM

zbp

Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: January 13, 2009 09:25AM

soccer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> zbp

I agree but haven't seen him for ages

Posted by: soccer ()
Date: January 13, 2009 04:35PM

lol i know but as he was the first one to wrench me out of the noob hood hes like a legend to me...or hero...or legendary hero of never on yearsness.

Posted by: LikeNoOthers ()
Date: January 14, 2009 09:02AM

He must be the same as zdp2, who have logged on for a week ago..

Posted by: LikeNoOthers ()
Date: January 14, 2009 12:15PM

hmm, more than a week ago, and he said he was one of the best players a long time ago..

Posted by: de_Boer ()
Date: January 15, 2009 11:59AM

Thank you for the mention Master.

However I also agree that intelligence in this regard is not the right term to use. Decisions made by a player are either optimal to his situation, considering his opponent, map and all other factors, or they are not. This game, unfortunately, simply does not have enough strategic levels to test true intelligence. The best player is the one who has figured out the game and can act as close to optimal in the time allotted. Fighting instinct does not play a part in strategy games like Conqueror. In fact I am of the opinion that this game has more in common with Backgammon than Chess. Probabilities can be calculated and on that information players make their decisions. But the roll is still random, like map generation and attacks in this game.

The main problem is due to the fact that only one type of direct ability is available, that of troop creation, all of which are equal. While obviously balanced it takes away the need to create radically different strategies because are fighting a particular faction and particular troops. Creating new strategies would be a test of intelligence in my opinion.

Are most of the best players not roughly agreed on how to develop and how to attack? Does it really constitute as a strategy if nearly all your opponents are using a very similar one?

To be clear this is not an attack on the game, just my thoughts on the level of intelligence required to play this game. You ask why I don't play something more challenging then? That is because I do, and like playing this fun time-waster with a fun community. Sometimes I even spot intelligence. :)

Posted by: jenny ()
Date: January 15, 2009 01:18PM

well i am so glad u could grace us with ur intelligence, and stoop to our level
haha

how sweet of u

Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: January 16, 2009 10:21AM

I agree with deBoer. Randomness plays a big factor in this game but nevertheless you can see different styles of play. Some are better in an attacking play while others are very good developers. Only the best are good at both and apply their skills wisely depending on the situation. I consider myself a very good developer, and a good attacker, certainly not the best. My game play is built on my development skills, gaining the upper hand over my opponent so that fighting skill is less important. From my perspective, Master is fairly unique in his playing style in that his strength is in expanding fast while maintaining a solid troop supply. He uses developed countries, preferably +1 res, for troop production and develops and captures others. His skill in doing this is unmatched, I'm still trying to figure out what he does exactly that's different from the rest but I think what I just said is the core of it. The other important, not often discussed, skill is the ability to read the map in the beginning phase of the game to develop a course for expansion. People have different ways of applying this. Again, Master has a preference for quickly capturing +1 countries with low troop counts and often 10k or so without ignoring the obvious great countries. Others seem to have a strategy that focuses more on capturing subsequent circles of lands around their cap. Most top players expand towards their opponent while lesser players fail to do this. Another key difference between top players and lesser players (used in a broad sense) is that top players are quick to capture and hold lands with a fort in it if the land is between opponents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2009 10:23AM by Nelson.

Date: January 17, 2009 07:49AM

Thank you Deboer and Nelson. This was actually what I was trying to say in this post.
The most important factors in this game are those who Nelson and Deboer have just written. I do not agree completely though.
Fighting is still a skill in this game. A move that Neo calls “Magic” can be very useful and give you the upper hand even if you do not have enough armies.

intelligent players
Date: December 20, 2008 04:30PM

This is not the best conqueror.

Sorry about my grammatical errors I have a lot of hangovers today.

Posted by: acro ()
Date: February 04, 2009 11:51AM

When you said you play more challenging games deBoer, what sort of games were you talking about?

Posted by: Limbo ()
Date: February 07, 2009 08:11PM

Squeegie

~ Limbo for lyfe <3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.