Reminiscing of the beginning
Posted by: soccer ()
Date: January 11, 2009 01:28AM

Hey everyone long time no play! Sadly i switched operating systems and can no longer play...for now. Anyhow just started this to reminisce on the different stages of conquerors progression/history and when all the good players of today started. I remember joining not to long after zbp during the age of the speed farming and the Rules of War. There were allot less good players back then as i think speed farming probably scared off to many beginners. Didn't take to long to get used to playing without speed farming; it was just a new way to get used to.
So what stage did everyone join in?

Re: Reminiscing of the beginning
Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: January 13, 2009 03:24AM

Hi soccer, long time no see! The scene has changed quite a bit with bug fixes and new, strong, players. Also, many of the good players play in team games now, quite fun and challenging. What OS are you running? I switched to Mac OS X a while ago which kept me out of the game until Shockwave had a new release. It works fine now under Safari, unfortunately not so great under FF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 03:27AM by Nelson.

Posted by: -RIPPE- ()
Date: January 13, 2009 04:27AM

i started when the era of speed farming was in its last breaths and got kinda good when the money bug started to take over, the game back then was very unstable and shockwave error crashed almost every game at some point. when there were 20 players online that already was a lot.
i think that the money bug was a good strategic thing but the stability the game runs on nowadays is worth the loss of it. also ai was extremely weak back then, thanks to xuul this episode belongs to the past. its been some years now and i still enjoy a good match. many players came and left but i still like to see some old fags online as well as fresh players getting the first fix.

dont forget not to click more then 5 times after you ended turns!!!

Posted by: DirtyHarry ()
Date: January 13, 2009 07:56AM

When I started playing the game, the teamgames was still a fairly new phenomenon. The amount of players, who was on a high skill level wasn't anywhere the one we see today. Back then a medium player like me, would have been one of the best, or at least I like to believe so. Back then players like Master and Paars was still only "rising stars" who had not yet shown their full potential - most of all because they needed someone to prove it against! The old "legends" like XuuL and Nelson had quit the game, so only their reputations as almost unbeatable remained (XuuL's record of almost 2 years without a loss told it all.). So when they came back into the game it was fun to watch the settle it - I believe they are still battling on ;-)
The reasons why the skill-level has increased so much, is mainly due to more competitive games (1v1,2v2 and 3v3), but also due to much of the information on how to play the game have been shared in the forums.
In my early conqueror days the games was dominated by players like Golem, Master, Paars, Hmmmm, izzlekizzle, hallali and Rippe. To see what players who dominated through times the following threads could be fun to read - if it has any interested:

"heavyweights": [www.conquerorgame.com]
"the conqueror ladder system": [www.conquerorgame.com];
top 10":[www.conquerorgame.com]

Btw. In "the conqueror ladder system" thread I found this post from XuuL(dated the 28 september 2007), that I find interesting and relevant in the context of this thread:

Quote start
1st:
i am playing this game since about 5 years now... very much and regulary.. i have more than 2000 games on my shoulder.. i was a also noob once... but i learned a lot from zbp and nelson and developed my own strategies over the years

2nd:
i was unbeaten for over 2 years (only WOW and Nelson could get a draw vs me).. till TinkyWinky beat me with a smurf account in spring 2006... i even had to take a break cause i was always winning... what was rly extremely boring. that was _before_ i helped the admin in fixing bugs and improving the game.

3rd:
since i became an admin myself i am far more vulnerable than before... now i am loosing sometimes, even to players not belonging to the best like IceQueen... that was unthinkable before. u can feel very lucky that u havent played the game in the time of speedfarming- or gold-bug... u wouldnt even had the smallest chance to beat me

4th:
there are players like Hallali, Nelson, Rippe, Comnenus and Neo, who play on my level.. im rly not "the" best.. all of them play very long time now over years and all of them know the same about AIs as i do... not to forget the US people in a differen timezone.. take hmmmm for example... he was very strong when i played him in ladder and he also beat me

5th:
i could retreat from the ladder... i am an admin and you are right, that its a little strange when admins participate in contests they administrate .. but on the other hand, we are a very very small community and maybe u dont want me to retreat? well.. if u do, i can understand it and u can remove me.. i dont need any ranks to represent myself
Quote end

Posted by: Master ()
Date: January 13, 2009 09:26AM

I started playing during “the age of speed farming” as well but under a different name and I was not very good and it was only for a short period.
I started playing again just before “the age of the money bug” and I have kept playing this time because of team games which is a great add to the game in my opinion.

Posted by: LikeNoOthers ()
Date: January 13, 2009 09:42AM

It must have been "the age of speed farming" that i played firsttime.. But after a break.. For some years.. I started again in February.. The age of teamgaming..

Date: January 13, 2009 10:33AM

Nice to hear from yall.
To Nelson, I switched from that thing they call Vista to Ubuntu. i love Linux but as you see here it has its draw backs.
It seems i would mostly go in and out of this game with every major change it went through. Normally would play for about a year and then as they began working on fixing something i became tiered of it and took a few months off. When i would come back something new would just be starting and id then get used to that. I did start up a little when they started the team games but I ended up leaving around the middle or end of this last summer( Moved to Norway for a year of school...ish) and in that move i made the Ubuntu change and am no longer able to stop by.
It is amazing how many good players there are now as when i first started there were about 5 of us( well 4 but i quickly learned and was able to compete)
The team games are more fun in this era since the rules of war have been thrown out by all but a select few. At the same time though it seems the wins arent as satisfying.
I believe in that other thread about the conqueror dictionary someone referred to FFA games for noobs. This saddens me as the wins are so much more tasty.
I loved those ffa games with the rules and before the whispering. then the whispering came and it wasnt to bad cause for the most part the people whispering were noobs so it just meant u had to kill 2-4 noobs.
Either way ffa will always be my favorite way to play. It would be incredible to get all the oldtimers back into one big old fashioned ffa. zbp, xuul, nelson, me, comnenus, rippe...ect. and also to have a team game between the old and the new.

Its actually suprising how few people i remember from back then =/

o and yes i definately remember the 5 click rule/thing

Date: January 13, 2009 10:38AM

OMG WTF IT WAS YOU WHO CALLED MY FFA GAMES A NOOB ARENA!!!!!!!!!! The audacity!!!!!!! lol well it probably is now that anyone that is good only plays team games.

Posted by: DirtyHarry ()
Date: January 13, 2009 11:27AM

Soccer quote
> I believe in that other thread about the conqueror
> dictionary someone referred to FFA games for
> noobs. This saddens me as the wins are so much
> more tasty.
> I loved those ffa games with the rules and before
> the whispering. then the whispering came and it
> wasnt to bad cause for the most part the people
> whispering were noobs so it just meant u had to
> kill 2-4 noobs.

I believe it was me that wrote that, i'm truly sorry, but if you read my definition of noobs, you will see that it means "Everyone else than you".... Do I save my FFA definition with that?

Anyways - get back to the game Soccer... we all miss you.

Posted by: XuuL ()
Date: January 16, 2009 08:56AM

hah nice thread!

i think u can divide the history into following phases (from since i started):

1) 1 army stunning phase (2003)
- speedfarming was unknown
- it was possible to stop the movement of a whole army by attacking it with just 1 unit
- the development tatic was equal as today (just a slower start)
- the fighting strategy was leaned on the stunning tactic
- best players were zbp, nelson and thunderDK
- 5-10 players online

2) speed farming (2004 - 2005)
- comnenus discovered the speedfarming with culture and later castle
- game was totaly different cause best country was 10k +2 dev
- usual country sizes were 120k - 500k
- fighting was like gathering 2000 units in capital and then moving out to reach enemy cap in winter (invented by nelson)
- best players were nelson, tinky, wow, comnenus, soccer, neo, xuul
- 10-30 players online

3) lots of bugs (2006)
- game always crashed when u clicked on map after making 5th move
- game crashed when host transfered
- turns ended automatically somehow
- server crashed for several days
- wow and tinky stopped playing, game had a real downphase
- good new players were rippe and hallali
- 10-20 players online

4) first clean phase (2006/2007)
- game ran as it was supposed to be
- no major bugs
- lot of newcomers
- nelson and soccer stopped playing :(
- best players were neo, hallali, rippe, xuul
- 10-30 players online

5) gold bug (2007)
- after i came back after a break of 2 months i was beaten by Torman and Comnenus and i thought WTF what is going on here, how do they have so much units?
- get your gold back when buying units bug
- game was totaly different
- only few newcomers
- best players were captainplanet, hallali, rippe, xuul
- 10-20 players online

6) second clean phase (2007 - 2008)
- gold bug was fixed
- no major bugs anymore
- primitive lands were improved by giving them a 1.33 multiplier on production instead of 1
- few gold for neutral lands
- balanced starting positions
- stronger AI
- first competition by a forum ladder
- lot of new players came
- best players were hmmmm, JD, hallali, rippe, xuul
- 10-30 players online

7) team games (2008)
- game has a player range size of 2-16
- game is stable (except a short period of winter support costs)
- many new players came
- 1on1, 2on2 and 3on3 is played a lot
- competition increased very strong
- ~ 50 very strong gamers
- best players can be read in many many threads about that topic
- 10-60 players online

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2009 08:58AM by XuuL.

Posted by: LikeNoOthers ()
Date: January 16, 2009 11:15AM

Amazing post, XuuL, really fun to read.. I played some games during Speed-farming, but i really CANT remember that someone got so good lands.. I have really missed something. :) Just wondering, why u dont mention that Soccer and Nelson started playing again.. although soccer is stopped again

Date: January 17, 2009 10:46PM

lol yeah lands back then could go from i think 10k to 450k in one switch. and then from there you could build it up as high as you wanted. lol it was crazy armies. and yeah normally the top ten people didnt have a single land under 200k.

and i remember the next stage of nothing but bugs!!! omg that was so agravating yet looking back it kind of hilarious. lol

as i said earlier i never really left it was just more like a couple month break at a time...till now. i am trying to get a windows cd so i can have a small partition to play conqueror. lol

by the way when was the time of the hackers? i remember it but not when it was. that was also kinda funny.

Posted by: hallali ()
Date: January 31, 2009 09:50AM

I just started playing after the speedfarming. RIPPE played for almost a year then ( I think speedfarming was still active when he started) and pressed me into trying this one out. When you could select only 2 players, team games where born.

I wondered why we didn´t had the thought earlier to play a 3 vs 3 as 6 player games were always possible. I think it was due to the fact that there were much less players these days. You could be lucky to find 9 people on the server.

I don´t play as often as I did in the first year, but I still love this game.

Posted by: Lancelot ()
Date: February 01, 2009 07:03AM

Actually team games started around/before the ladder system. I remember the fist few ones we tried, but at that time we didn't have a clear idea about balanced team game maps, so they were ending faster than now. I gave a pause just after, and when I resumed 6 months later they were quite popular.

Posted by: Squeegie ()
Date: May 07, 2009 12:23PM

I must have joined immediately before the gold bug. I remember when it was new and arguements happend about if it was a bug or not.

Team games seemed new when I started... so they must have become popular in 2007.

Posted by: : ()
Date: May 07, 2009 12:34PM

I started back in 2003 :S
I don't remember much of it, except that i was amazed by some one that i forgot the name of, Blood and then another word :P

Posted by: : ()
Date: May 08, 2009 12:48PM

Yeah i'm a true gangsta.
Thunder_DK learned me all about the game, so back then i was very good :P
Seems like nobody remember me, except for Neo ^^

Posted by: Keira ()
Date: May 09, 2009 12:56PM

It was the best of times it was the worst of times.
I started in 2007.
Back then only FFAs were played, except they weren't called FFAs they were just called games.
All sorts of protocols existed to judge honourable and dishonourable game playing. There were goodies, baddies, mavericks, opportunists, back-stabbers. Back then giants still roamed the land...JD, Hmmm, Rippe Xuul, these were names that made your pulse quicken when you saw them appear.
Early team games existed but the procedure was to play up to turn 30 or so and then discuss sides.
Nelson was my protector in the first team game i survived long enough to play. Neo bashed me :-(
Capt Planet ruled the roost in forums and field of battle. Even if he didn't win he left you thinking he had.
Hallali was Queen, CGF was less of a recluse. Paars appeared for the first time; He hung with Cap P. Looking back they must have been like chalk and cheese.
Jynnxx was but a boy back then. I remember Perfect, Liquid, Kurtzov, Mr Scientist ...and of course Adrien, the one fixed point in a changing age.

Posted by: acro ()
Date: May 09, 2009 10:00PM

I first played in the age of "hostkillers".

Posted by: Schopenhauer ()
Date: May 09, 2009 10:01PM

Hmm.. cant remember when i started.. but it was back when Paars was quite new. Like Keira i also remember Liquid, nice fella, Perfect, never talked with him that much.. And Capt P.. played a couple of games with him.. Pretty awesome dude.. But the one i was playing with the most was Icadil.. also a great guy, but somehow got pissed when i broke our promise of starting a clan and not attacking each other..

The Lords i think we were called.. Paars and i think neo also joined.. Great times back then.. in the 60's

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.