Gamers' Lounge :  Conqueror! Forum
Arrange meeting times for new games, discuss past games and strategies, socialize with other players. 
The change production hotkeys bug
Posted by: acro ()
Date: February 26, 2009 03:58PM

As I posted in another thread, jynxxx made me aware of a bug in the new build, which I will briefly outline again. Basically, after your orders have been sent, and while moves are being carried out, you can still change production with the hotkeys.

Personally I am not using the new build for two reasons:

1. I don't like some of the features, eg. resetting defaults for new game.
2. I don't want to be tempted to use this bug to my advantage, which would be unfair if other people weren't using it.

What I want to know is, are we going to all use the new build and accept this bug as a new part of the game, or carry on playing as normal and trust each other not to use it until it is fixed?

I just think it would be bad if it were to be a mixture: when I win/lose I want it to be because I am the better/worse player, not because I am taking, or not taking, advantage of a bug.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The change production hotkeys bug
Posted by: -RIPPE- ()
Date: February 26, 2009 07:17PM

i also use the old version (oldest), even though i could make good use of the bug. the newer builds are slow and not stable on my comp.

Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: February 27, 2009 03:16AM

I'm also using the old build, too many disadvantages with the new.

Posted by: Limbo ()
Date: February 28, 2009 11:15PM

"Personally I am not using the new build for two reasons:

1. I don't like some of the features, eg. resetting defaults for new game.
2. I don't want to be tempted to use this bug to my advantage, which would be unfair if other people weren't using it."

I am not using it for the same reasons

"I'm also using the old build, too many disadvantages with the new."

yep.

PS. i am all out of coffee :(

Posted by: Scum ()
Date: March 01, 2009 12:57AM

Having a bug is an advantage, not a disadvantage. Also, it only works with the host. If you people would play the new version and actually find bugs ... they would sooner or later get fixed. Simply hiding under a rock and hoping your problems go away isn't very smart, imo.

It doesn't reset your game settings. It sets them to the most previous game you have made. A VERY easy solution to this is to simply join the game and leave, your settings will stay.

There are numerous advantages to the new version, including the graph and background color changes. Solo is also very nice to use when noone is on and you want to practice calculating AI production or tactics or anything. Also to get rid of the 10 single player games that clog up the lobby.

Date: March 01, 2009 04:04AM

Firstly, I can say that you are wrong in saying it only works for the host, I just tried it and it worked when I wasn't the host.

You are correct about the game settings though, if you actually play the game, the only thing that resets is the name.

Posted by: Comrade-D ()
Date: March 01, 2009 10:52AM

Regarding the concern about other people using this feature inappropriately and winning a game because of this, I think it would be wise to point out the fact that evil in this world seems to allow many people to prosper and go unscathed while those who do what is right and refrain from doing evil suffer (I think many would agree with me on this). Let this example be a reminder that we should not therefore think we are justified in doing what is wrong; rather, have it in your hearts to have dignity and patiently wait out the storm (continue to do what is right) and in the end God will judge each according to his/her / her/his deeds.

In other words, don't let the fear of other people using this glitch in the icon feature motivate you to do likewise just so that you can save face (by not losing a game). Be the better man/woman / woman/man and know that in your heart you did not cheat, and though you may not know if your opponent is being just as just, leave it to them to have it on their own conscience that they lack integrity if they are in fact cheating.

~ Comrade-D

Posted by: Limbo ()
Date: March 01, 2009 12:38PM

Eggwhites and I have tried this and it doesn't work.... however.. while i was in an ffa my capital kept changing to gold when i put it on culture.. so...?...?

Date: March 01, 2009 07:27PM

The hot key bug does not work when you are not host. I have re-verified this.

It will show you that it works, you can change your orders after the turn has ended. However, it doesn't work. The production will not go through and it will be processed as whatever you had it set to before the turn ended. (It changes the picture, but it doesn't change the order).

No clue what you're talking about Limbo, never happened to me before. Unless it is the AI bug and I haven't had that issue for months. Ai bug is an advantage though, just sucks. You can log out and rejoin the game and it fixes it ussually.

Date: March 02, 2009 02:34AM

"Ai bug is an advantage though, just sucks."

Dude please look advantage up in the dictionary.

Date: March 02, 2009 03:59PM

Disadvantage. Was a typo. Thanks for being petty though.

Date: March 03, 2009 01:55PM

I wasn't being petty, I was trying to help you because I thought maybe you didn't know what an advantage was because you used it dubiously twice:

"Having a bug is an advantage, not a disadvantage."
"Ai bug is an advantage though, just sucks."

It doesn't matter anyway.

Date: March 04, 2009 12:54AM

Having the** bug is an advantage. (not "a bug"). I stand corrected again, small petty ass shit. Grow up, I'm not confused but I don't know what your issue with me is.

The bug I was refferring to was the hotkey bug. It is an advantage, not a disadvantage.

You are being petty. You are pointing out pointless things that have nothing to do with the topic, which is the AI bug does not work when you are not host. Not only are they pointless and off-topic, but they are small.

After actually re-reading my post, I wasn't even talking to you.

Before you say you're not being petty, and proove that you're stupid as well, here is some help:

[dictionary.reference.com]

Date: March 04, 2009 03:06AM

Some people take any excuse to make a scene. How was I supposed to know it was a typo?

Date: March 04, 2009 12:54PM

Simply not correcting it. It didn't matter either way, so there was no point in correcting it.

Back onto the topic:

Have you tested what I was talking about? How the hotkeys will change your production after the turn is over, but unless you are host the change of orders will not be processed? (i.e. You ET, then realize you want to produce troops in your capital, but it is on gold. You switch it to troops using hotkeys. If you are host, you will produce troops. If you are not host, you will produce gold.)

Date: March 04, 2009 02:38PM

I did retest it, you were correct. Which makes it more of a concern in my opinion if the host has an unfair advantage, and makes my initial question as to whether it is ok to use the bug void: it should obviously not be used.

However, I think my conclusion is that people generally won't use it. Most of the people with the capacity to use this bug with any great effect are more than likely serious players who wouldn't want to anyway. But even so, I would like it to be fixed asap so that the possibility isn't there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.