Gamers' Lounge :  Conqueror! Forum
Arrange meeting times for new games, discuss past games and strategies, socialize with other players. 
Is it no longer allowed to play for fun?
Posted by: Longdistance ()
Date: May 01, 2009 06:14AM

Ive played this game a couple of years ago, and I frequently come back to play a game or two, and in the last couple of weeks I have played regularly including a couple of 3 versus 3 teamgames. But sometimes I got the impression that people take it way to serious, trash talking each other for minor mistakes and so on, and mostly I have kept myself out of all this, but just being in the multiplayer version of the game is risking getting hit by all this. I like just to make a map with two players. and start playing, and mostly no one joins and I play for myself enjoying the game, and doing others stuff while playing. But sometimes players join and if the cant turn it around they start to say stuff like "If I had been here from the start, I had kicked your ass" and "what an unfair map, you fucking noob," (well, you might get the impression). I don't ask no one to join, people are welcome to join, or ask me for a 1v1. However I dont like the, "let me prove im way better than you attitude" , and feel no need (or obligation) to participate in some pro's searching for better confidence in hisown abilities, by beating me. Yesterday a good player called dannyray saw I had started a game from the lobby, and asked if I would like to play a new 1v1 against him and I agreed, and we had a good game, shaking hands (gg) afterwards- that I do like. Today I started a game and after 2 or 3 turn a player called Gogeta joins, start playing, and not making a good start - which can happen for even the best. But then he feel the need to say that the map (castile(him) vs lithuania(me) - with +2 in Gascony and +1 developed culture in brittany, I would say it was fair, but im not an expert, and have never claimed to be so.) was very unfair, and that he could have beaten me on almost every other map, and he was so good that he would win nicaea vs england. He might have been good, or maybe it was just talk, but I really dont care, I never asked him to join, and did not say anything when he left. But he still needs to challenge me to show of his abilities, but I really dont like participating in this kind of "who got the biggest" contest, so I just ignored him.

Is it wrong of me to start a game like this? and should I abandon the multiplayer version of the game and start playing singleplayer version, if I dont take the game as serious as the rest of the players?

NB: this post was not meant to be a reflection upon all the competition minded players, course I have experienced some of the serious players, who have behaved just fine towards me - friendly and helpful.I think the competition in the teamgames are fun, but I rather not play if someone cant accept that this is just a game, meant to be played for fun. If Nike, Adidas, Sega or some company like that would sponsor me playing conquerorgame, then I might change opinion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it no longer allowed to play for fun?
Posted by: Paars ()
Date: May 01, 2009 09:39AM

You should just accept there's people taking this game to seriously or are very competetive, trashtalking just belongs a bit to it for some people. It does so for every multiplayer game out there.

Shouldn't focus on the negative aspects of multiplayer but the positive ones instead.

Posted by: Longdistance ()
Date: May 01, 2009 09:54AM

Sorry, I don't play that many onlinegames, so I really doesn't have any experience with the tone used in other games. What I basicly ask is; are one not welcome in the multiplayer version of this game, if one doesn't have to participate in all the bullshit lingo that are being thrown around in the game?

And I tried to focus on some positive sides mentioning a good experience with dannyray yesterday, and that some of the players I had met was friendly and helpful. What I hear you say is; that you will recommend me to participate in the bullshit lingo or use the singleplayer version....

I guess I tried to address something, that I think is an issue, but since the top-dogs says its not, I will lay it to rest, and start playing in the single player version.

Posted by: Paars ()
Date: May 01, 2009 11:14AM

You don't need to participate in the 'bs lingo', I barely do. I'm just saying that crap talk is out there, just accept it is and don't get involved into it if you don't want too, ignoring crap-talk isn't that hard is it?

Posted by: Scum ()
Date: May 01, 2009 12:08PM

The real issue is that it can not be stopped.

Hopefully the good experiences in game will outweigh the bad ones and you will continue multiplayer.

Posted by: Tiffany ()
Date: May 01, 2009 12:45PM

I agree with you Longdistance and i think Paars does too in his Paars-kinda-way.

Never forget your opponent may well be a spotty unloved teenager looking for any opportunity to let loose his battered ego and losing in this game may well be for him the final nail in his self esteem. Cut the poor kid some slack.

From your observations it is losers that show the bad manners which even i have to confess to being capable of on occasions where my development efforts are trashed by a surprise attack that can leave me carrying on like a ballerina with a hole in her tights.
Maybe it is the games fault that you get drawn into it emotionally too much.

But Stay with with 'multiplayer' Longdistance, you are but tilting at windmills in 'Solo'.
;-)

Posted by: -RIPPE- ()
Date: May 04, 2009 08:32PM

those who take this game too serious or competitive should sign up for the tournament. i am pretty sure they will get their asses kicked round 1.

Posted by: : ()
Date: May 08, 2009 08:16PM

Grab a cookie.
And we will see about that Rippe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2009 08:16PM by Adrien.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.