Gamers' Lounge :  forum
Arrange meeting times for new games, discuss past games and strategies, socialize with other players. 
for novices at team games...
Posted by: empError ()
Date: May 16, 2009 09:10AM

There are some topics on how to advance, and on how to move. I think there is none yet on the basics for team games.

I assume that someone starting team games has played quite a lot of 'open' games (ffa's), and only want to point out a few things, to avoid failing miserably, and also to avoid annoyances to the other players, such as leaving without warning.

So, first a few rules of conduct:
1) Don't leave team games without warning. If you really have to leave, try to find a replacement first;
2) Communicate with your team. You have to understand basic english, and you have to be able to type messages in the chat box. It is also helpful if you can whisper (#name message), and for that you have to be a registered player;
3) Don't attack your team mates! (Although I have seen experienced players do this too, on purpose).

The above should prevent you from annoying the other players.

Now I'd also like to point out a few differences with ffa-games, in which there are typically many AIs playing:
1) With many AIs around, you typically will stay away from them, not expanding too much. In team games, you'll have to expand way faster, and you shouldn't be afraid to confront the opposition early in the game;
2) In ffa's, you'll often hoard loads of money, because you are at peace with your neighbours, and you don't want to scare them with lots of troops. Nor do you want to pay for them. In team games, it is normally wiser to spend all your money, except in winter, and maybe in autumn.
3) If you are new to team games, you may know the benefits of farming and of culture. Most regular team players have developed strategies to develop and farm in an optimal way. It is probably too much to learn all these rules rightaway. One rule seems to be agreed upon by every respectable player, however: Advance your capital at a population of 40k.
4) The order of your moves is important. This may not be very apparent in ffa's, but it is often wise to make your moves in the frontline first, and the moves in the back later. There is a detailed post on how to move, by deBoer I believe.

There may be more things, of which I am not thinking now. Everyone is of course free to add to this information.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: for novices at team games...
Posted by: Tiffany ()
Date: May 16, 2009 10:32AM

It is nice to see an inclusive attitude to novices EmpError, rather than the aloof closed door approach of some.
One piece of advise i would offer as a semi novice myself at team play, is do not choose to play one of the middle positions in a 3 v 3.

The middle countries are invariably where a game is won or lost.
Leave the middle Capital to a stronger player and try to respond immediately to any request for help from that player. Most will not ask for support until it is critical, so do not just wait until you feel strong enough to advance, that point is rarely ever reached in a team game.
Aside from expanding and developing well, your early objective is to prevent your opposing player above or below you double teaming your middle team mate.
If you can do that you have held up your side of the triad and no one can ask more....And if you can't, but give it your best - only a fool will fault you.

Posted by: Scum ()
Date: May 17, 2009 07:24PM

Other differences (all of these have exceptions):
1. If one of your team players lose their capital, chances are low you will win.
2. A regular 3v3 map has these 6 capitals:
... (N) Ulster
... (N) Hanover/Saxony
... (N) Lithuania/Muscovy
... (S) Roma/Corsica
... (S) Nicaea
... (S) Grenada
... .. S = South
... .. N = North
3. Center territories** can play a large role in the outcome.
4. The player directly north of you is your main opponent.
5. Protection is advised when one is participating in group activities, along with a monthly check for STDs (Strategy Transmitted Diseases).

** Center territories = the territories that are the same number away from you and your opponent

Date: June 17, 2009 07:23AM

Apart from building culture/farms in an optimal way, and moving in an optimal way, there are at least two other important things:

- You have to find a good balance between expanding and building culture/farms. I think you will only get this by playing a lot;
- Very experienced players check out what the neutral lands are doing. Sometimes these lands are farming or developing, and in such cases it may be wise to let them go ahead, and give priority to taking other lands, e.g., those building armies. It is helpful if you know how long it will take a land to get to the next farm or development level. What neutral lands will build is predictable from what they are currently doing. E.g., a farming land will keep farming; a land building troops will go on until twice its population size (i.e., a 30k land will build up to 6 armies), then switch to farms; a developed land building a keep will continue building a fort; a primitive land building a keep will switch to farming.

Posted by: LikeNoOthers ()
Date: June 17, 2009 08:49AM

a developed land building a keep will continue building a fort; a primitive land building a keep will switch to farming.

You mean, A developed land will build a fort, and then continue to build a keep :) ..

Posted by: Hubic Hair ()
Date: June 17, 2009 08:52AM

Forts are so bullshit they might as well be keeps.

Date: July 24, 2009 10:13AM

Another thing that seems wise to do, is to take certain 'critical' lands early in the game, and try to control rebellions fast, and develop them, so that they can spread your influence on neighboring countries.

With 'critical' lands I refer mainly to those lands having many neighbours, and that also are bottlenecks, such as Poland, Macedonia, England, Moldavia, Grenada,.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.