Gamers' Lounge :  forum
Arrange meeting times for new games, discuss past games and strategies, socialize with other players. 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: FairConGame Improvements(rebuild from scratch)
Posted by: Lancelot ()
Date: June 07, 2009 02:44PM

Acro if you want it simple, the current one is simple enough, and what you say about a lot of code is actually a very short one. Now putting that aside, we can also give the number of lands at each level, but will anyone check all the numbers in all levels? Finding a map takes enough time, i think this will only makes it longer to decide. Instead, put the effort on designer, he/she may write a complex algorithm if needed, and give simple results to the end user, so it will be user-friendly.

It may for example give the number of the owned lands, and number of the disputed lands with which side will possibly take how many.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 07, 2009 02:46PM

Paars btw did you by any chance update the .jar after adding natolia?

Posted by: Paars ()
Date: June 07, 2009 07:58PM

Natolia and Crimea will be added into the new version, tho I can do a quick fix with the old one.

Posted by: acro ()
Date: June 07, 2009 08:58PM

I'm just saying I think that the most important thing is to have an unambiguous, correct result. If you put weighting on then your opinion is taking a heavy role in deciding which is best. I think it's better to give the user the information he or she needs and let the user apply his or her own opinion on which is strongest from that information.

Maybe we could have a button to "add weighting", and somewhere for the user to add his or her own parameters (ie how many points for a land 1,2,3,4... away).

Either way, I definitely want to see the detailed list of distances.

Perhaps something like this, taking all suggestions in: (see attatchment)

But Lance, I'd still like to hear exactly what you mean with regards to deciding who a disputed land goes to. Maybe my suggestion about assuming a disputed land with equal access belongs to you with probability half?

Attachments: fairconqgame2.JPG (52.2 KB)  
Date: June 07, 2009 09:03PM

Which shortest path algorithm is used?

Date: June 07, 2009 09:25PM

ehm if I remember correctly, none. I just get the first country, ask its neighbors, do the same for the oponent. add them to their list of countries, then I ask the neighbors of the current countries in the list and the oponent again I compare which countries are going to be add and if both players hold it, it isnt added. (well in my mind this is how it goes ;) )

Date: June 07, 2009 09:29PM

That's quite a clever way to avoid a shortest path algorithm. I guess it could still work with the proposed changes too, you'll just need to add the country to the list along with a number representing the stage of the algorithm you are in and hence the distance. For the disputed countries however, I am not totally sure.

Date: June 07, 2009 09:37PM

Hang on, what you said before would mean that a disputed land that is hidden behind another disputed land wouldn't get added to the list at all, so in Hubert's example, east would get Tripoli, so there must be two lists? (One being the countries you have considered so far, one the ones that are strictly yours?)

Date: June 07, 2009 09:40PM

I think I have a fairly simple solution, but I'll wait for you to reply first.

Date: June 08, 2009 01:29AM

Actually the algorithm Paars uses is a modified version of A* (if I remember the name correctly), and I also remember stating the problem acro said, so I believe it was solved. I think Paars was adding that country to both lists rather than adding it to none while creating shortest paths, but when creating an output, if it existed in both places, then it was not showing it anywhere.

About the disputed land issue, I will think about it a little more and write down soon.

Date: June 08, 2009 05:35AM

Right here is my disputed land solution:

If both lands have clear paths of the same length to a land, then it is disputed.

If west has a clear path to a land, and east has a path to that same land that is of equal length but goes through another disputed land, the land is "disputed, west advantage".

If both lands have a path of equal length to the same land, but both go through another disputed land, then it is disputed.

Posted by: Scum ()
Date: June 08, 2009 06:20AM

Alphabetical order.

A pre-established list of fair maps.

A tool that you may enter surrounding territories population, resources, culture, and armies. It will then calculate the production of these territories, minus the average lost of troops. Then give a simple point system to determine if the territories are equal. This is not that important because it is usually determined on a general scale, but it might provide some insight. I know this program by Paars has brought some insight to certain maps that were viewed as equal and fair before.

Date: June 08, 2009 06:27AM

Definitely agree with the first point, and I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have the second somewhere within the program for reference. Third I don't know about, can't say it would be my priority.

Date: June 08, 2009 11:00AM

alphebetical order would be a bit weird since it is going to be ordered by how many steps the country are away from your capital.

A pre-estabalished list of fair maps would be a nice add as well. also because I can update it through time.

Date: June 08, 2009 11:12AM

By alphabetical order I interpreted it as the drop-down list being in alphabetical order, which would be easier.

Date: June 08, 2009 11:17AM

oh like that, yeah I could try to build that in as well. But in the old version it wasn't that hard to find a country either just select the dropbox then click the first letter of the country until you got the right 1.

Posted by: LikeNoOthers ()
Date: June 08, 2009 11:46AM

I cant get the new one to work

Date: June 08, 2009 12:01PM

Doesn't it open the program? cuz the button doesn't do much yet. only displays errors at the moment such as wehn you type letters or to high numbers.

Date: June 08, 2009 01:18PM

well i can open the program, but not do anything with it :)

Date: June 08, 2009 01:19PM

"Error: pick valid numbers no less then 1 no more then 16" Than? Hihihi

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.