Feature Requests (Shockwave) - CLOSED :  forum
Ask for features not currently in the game, or suggest changes in the rules or gameplay that would make for a better game. 
One thing I would love to see.
Posted by: punch ()
Date: December 25, 2007 05:03AM

A turn limit on when people can join. If the host could set a limit of turns when the game is open to all players, that would help eliminate the game hopping that is so common now. It would also prevent people from dropping out, then coming back with a different capitol in the middle of a game after screwing up their first empire.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: One thing I would love to see.
Posted by: Captain Planet ()
Date: December 25, 2007 10:01AM

Nice suggestion!

Posted by: hmmm ()
Date: December 25, 2007 06:59PM

Yes please!!!!!

This or similar is by far my top priority request and I suspect the top of other's lists as well...

... because by far most disputes and hard feelings in the game seem to come when folks (sometimes innocently, sometimes maliciously) join the game late and mess up players who have been playing, planning and building in a game from earlier on.

I've actually heard this and similar ideas discussed frequently in game and lobby chats... many thanks for punch for bringing the idea and this thread to the forum.

This really has to be built into the game. Right now the only alternatives are to try private games which are hard to coordinate and get started or abbreviating a "don't join after turn X" comment in the game name (but the name restriction are too short and the malicious players would just ignore it anyways).

Posted by: -RIPPE- ()
Date: December 26, 2007 07:17AM

I think this is a bad idea, i dont mind people switching caps or late starters. in fact its by far more difficult to get into a strong position when you join late. if you want to avoid these heroic players in your game just kill them or play it private as hmmmmmmm already suggested. more rules will lead to less freedom, if you want this go and play warcraft or other internet shit. the anarchistic element makes this game unique.

Date: December 26, 2007 08:18AM

I hear you RIPPE... but to turn it around if you personally don't mind folks joining late you're entirely welcome to start your own games without any turn limit. Many/most of the rest of us enjoy some anarchy (which is why I actually said private wasn't a good option) mixed with a bit more order.

Posted by: punch ()
Date: December 26, 2007 12:44PM

RIPPE, that's why I suggested a option for the host to set. If having people come and go doesn't bother you, then don't use it when you host a game. I find it very annoying when people hop into a game, then cry about being attacked, when the empire they chose was on my hit list for the last 10 turns. It's also very frustrating to have people come in, drop out, come in as a different empire, drop out, come back, on and on.

The thing is, with the newer, better AIs, it's not harder to hop into a game in the end stages, and have a good starting position, if you pick the right AI. They advance their culture, grow their populations, and expand their empires. Will they do it exactly the way you or I would? Nope, but they aren't the push-overs they used to be either.

Posted by: MadMan ()
Date: December 27, 2007 04:56PM

An alternative would be to name the game something like "no join after turn 20" and hope people respect that. Of course some will not. I personally like the open aspect of the game. Never knowing what random behavior be demonstrated by an AI taken over by a human keeps me on my toes. The open aspect of this game is what keeps my interest. Adding more host options would lock out players and make playing less interesting. My opinion of course.

Date: December 27, 2007 06:39PM

MadMan's idea of naming games ~"no join after turn X" is a good one... he and I have discussed it before (all credit is his) but per my first post in this thread I see two huge issues:

1) It's fine with friendly players (aside: I'm amazed at how decent most of the crowd here is) but won't e.g. keep out the nastier types who switch caps (per punch's first post) and destory the game to carry out a vendetta or whatever.

2) It uses all the length allowed for game names and then some. E.g. "no join after turn 20" is actually a hair longer than allowed and gets shortened one digit to "no join after turn 2"... somewhat fixable with funky abbreviations but there won't be any real room for other info about a game.

I'm still hoping to get something like what punch asked for (which I think is the only reasonable solution to (1))... but just addressing (2) a little by allowing somewhat longer game names may be a quick help in the interim to enable MadMan's idea, and would be nice to get anyways.

Posted by: zbp ()
Date: December 27, 2007 09:30PM

maybe implementing a small description about the game when your making it would solve things... already when you click a game you get some info, but a short description by the game host would clarify things even more.

also..if you had a lock on joining after a certain turn...with current crashing issues a lock on the game would also ruin a game for someone that got dropped due to connections or any other issues.

Also in a recent game where i was playing and died, and someone else had to leave from the same game on my team... so i took up his spot and finished the game. If that game had been locked... then that game would have been over then... when i believe when i rejoined the team i was on won... but i don't remember needless to say the game continued with much blood shed.

not a bad feature but one that needs refining... personally a description box would suit me

Posted by: grehhdf ()
Date: October 18, 2012 09:14PM

North Face Outlet Locations said with a frown. north face outlet locations"You be careful, I'm not sure that the water has no biological variation in the water before, Susan ...

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.