Help/FAQ (Shockwave) -- CLOSED :  Conqueror! Forum
How do you play this game? I can't figure it out! Why can't I attack? How does production work? And other questions not covered by the brief help page. 
exact production power
Posted by: boogafreak ()
Date: July 25, 2008 06:02AM

Hi.

I was trying to figure out some of the in-game parameters, such as production and farm costs.

I looked theoretically (and tried) a primitive devoted territory of 10000 peasants, and tried to build farms.
Since devoted is actually making production double, I figured production is 2, and a farm costs (1+1)^2 = 4, so a farm would be built in 2 turns.
This is true, but then I checked the same thing for size 2 -
production should be 4, and farm costs (2+1)^2 = 9. It SHOULD take 3 turns.
It takes 2 turns in the game....
HOW COME?! What did I miss?

Also, I wanted to ask... if there is over production (finish building and still have production)... is this extra production lost or transfered to next building?

Thank you, and mod bless Erika (?!)

Whichever I choose it amounts to the same - absolutely nothing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: exact production power
Date: July 29, 2008 02:18PM

Also,
1. I looked at a 30,000 peasants territory, devoted, developed, +2 resources at start of game : It looks that production on 1st turn is 20 (as needed), but turns to 19 on next turn, even if I build diplomats.
Any explanation to this??

2. the amount of money a territory can do seems unconnected to it's cultural level.. primitive territory caught does as much money as if it was a developed terrtory (my highest culture at this point was developed)

Date: July 30, 2008 10:04AM

Well, I have been obligated by myself to find out what's going on, and here is a summary..

But first, some stuff that are clearly wrong in the manual (concerning production, ofcourse):
1. Develop/Advance culture cost 40/80 respectively.
2. Fort/Keep/Castle cost 40/80/160 and can fortify 5/10/25 forces respectively.

After a long half-satisfying intercourse with the game, and having licked some equations over and over again, I came (to the following conclusion/s) :

[The original formula:]
The production formula "Production = (Pop + Res) * Culture * Devotion" explained in the instructions is almost correct.
Culture is supposed to be 1/2/3, Devotion between 1 (fully rebelious) and 2 (fully devoted)

However, I tested only fully devoted situations and found that:

1. In culture 2 or 3, after the first turn, there is always a penalty of 1 from the original formula, which is constant, but turns to 2 :( at some city size (6-9..I'll find out..) Perhaps in larger cities it even becomes 3.

2. Only in culture 1 (primitive) territories, the behaviour was very strange ..
They WERE fully devoted, resources acted ok with formula, this is an example with no resources on territory so it SHOULD be
Production = Pop*Culture*Devotion = Pop*2 , but in fact :
pop | production pop | production
1 | 2 6 | 15
2 | 5 7 | 18
3 | 7 8 | 20
4 | 10 9 | 23
5 | 13

In the formula it does fit ... but only if Culture*Devotion is 2.5 and some other minor change...
There are a lot of solutions to C*D=2.5, but if we try as if devotion is 2 as it is supposed to be, we get culture of 1.25. If culture is 1, we get 2.5 devotion (not ok).
The solution I stick to unless the developer says otherwise is C=1.25, D=2.

Now we only have a rounding problem, but it looks as if he rounds down on cities of 3 (or 4) and below, and round up on larger cities... ask him!

======================

If u apply these rules - all is "perfect" in production!
And no, there is no production surplus remembered - it's all lost! Why?! It should be there IMHO.

Booga out.

Date: August 05, 2008 05:17AM

Also, a strange behavious is that colonies with {size X ; no resources} don't behave exactly as colonies with {size X-2 ; 2 resources}...
They differ by 1 production..
I keep forgeting which way, I think the resources territory gets 1 less..

Posted by: -RIPPE- ()
Date: August 06, 2008 04:36AM

booga, read paars tactics in the gamers lounge. even though it lacks of advanced tactics, these will come by experience. also i saw you playing vs ai, start playing vs games with humans they will improve your skills much faster. not what you do is important, the way how you do it is.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.