Conqueror (v2) :  Conqueror! Forum
Open discussion for the second version of Conqueror, also known as the HTML5 version, or "Teams". 
Conqueror: Restoration of the Empire
Posted by: Alexey ()
Date: April 22, 2022 01:48PM

Hi everyone, Alexey here. Some of you old-timers might remember me from the early days of the game. I'm the original creator of the game, and handed off the keys to Xuul, the programmer behind the current version (v2) after 2013. You can read more about that here: [www.conquerorgame.com]

In any case, after pretty much single-handedly behing the sole guardian and developer of the game for almost a decade, Xuul has let me know that other demands on him means that he no longer has the ability to maintain the game server on his strategymania domain.

Of course, I had offered my assistance, but he prefers that I just retake the reins of this old horse and move the game server back to this site, which I am happy to do. Ten years ago, I was in a place where I did not have the time or energy to maintain the site, but things have changed since then, and I'm insterested in re-engaging, not just to get it working in this version but to start talking about maybe the development of a third version from the ground up.

I welcome your comments and suggestions, and hope to engage the community to find out what kind of future the game might have. I've been working in Unity (unity.com) a lot the last few years, and one idea I've been playing with is developing a new version as a stand-alone desktop (and maybe, mobile) game. What will happen is unknown, but the community will be a major part of any success.

First order of business will be getting v2 back online though; hopefully the extended offline period hasn't resulted in a loss of too many players. I know that a lot of you are long-term players that check back in every few weeks, months, or even years....

Ad astra per aspera!

--
Alexey
Developer, Conqueror!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Conqueror: Restoration of the Empire
Posted by: Regalr ()
Date: April 22, 2022 02:53PM

Thanks so much.. Long Long time player here... I know little about the technology here but it seems like the problem was that the server certificate expired and was not renewed. It may be as simple as that. Otherwise, i will wait patiently..until i can conquer again! :)

Posted by: hst ()
Date: April 26, 2022 06:38AM

hi was checking in, i hope there wil be progres soon =)

Posted by: Myopia ()
Date: April 26, 2022 10:26PM

I also lack the technical skill set to contribute, but I want to say you've built up so much positive equity over the decades of offering this simple but deeply satisfying game, whatever you ask for I'm on board! If I come up with any good ideas I'll pitch in as well.

Posted by: zzz ()
Date: May 02, 2022 10:36AM

I can help! With code, ops, hosting... Whatever is needed. Please let me know if you'd like some assistance.

Posted by: Comrade-D ()
Date: May 06, 2022 03:13PM

Glad (and relieved) to read the update, and thank you very much for letting us know what is going on.

I hope I didn't discourage Xuul; lately, oftentimes (out of frustration) I would say "I hate this game" when meeting the inevitable defeat or bad luck of chance [I most ABSOLUTELY love this game, and would feel the same as I do when attending funerals should this game ever cease to be]... New game or not, I hope Xuul will continue to participate with this community that has banded together over the years, as I would be sad indeed if he did if fact move on.

I must say that the server being down has provided me with the time needed to tend to SCORES of tasks, chores, and projects that otherwise would have remained on my 'to do list' because of the sheer fact that I do love this game -- I'm addicted to it, and nothing beats having a subtle getting into the morning over a cup of coffee and a game or two of conquering; the notion that I'll be able to have my favored type of morning once again makes me smile with gratitude.

Thank you very MUCH, Alexey (and Xuul, moderators, and all others for making Conqueror what it is). I look forward to that day with much antcipation.

Date: May 11, 2022 01:22AM

Random thoughts for conq v3

-some kind of unit that attacks production values of countries.

-supply line to capital affects army performance ; completely cut off armies shouldn't fight so well maybe?

-maybe a wonder that can generate a fortification every x amount of turns

-maybe if certain % of countries are rebellious, you sacrifice an army move

-oh, maybe some neutral objectives that get you a bonus; 1st to 10 countries taken gets a culture boost or something

I dunno! I'm not that smart. But I can be random!

Date: May 12, 2022 11:55AM

Thanks for the responses and encouragement. I'm mostly flying blind trying to reimplement everything on one server, but I've made good progress in the past couple days. I've set up a development server to start testing things on.

Please note that there is a good chance, according to what Xuul previously told me, that accounts created on the strategymania site won't transfer back here. If you originally created your account on this site (conquerorgame.com) you should be fine. The account creation is still working on this site if you want to check to see if your account works here:

[www.conquerorgame.com]

I'm working up a questionnaire for current players, so that I can find out where the player community stands and identify those most willing to help. This forum has always been the official place for communication outside the game, but I know there have been Facebook groups and other external forums in the past where players have met. If any of those are still active, please let me know.

I'm also considering using Slack or Discord for communications, at least temporarily while we carve out a future for this game. Please let me know your thoughts, if you prefer to use this forum or another means. It could be handy to have different channels for different uses, some private.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2022 11:55AM by Alexey.

Date: May 12, 2022 12:10PM

Gratis made a discord server [discord.gg] and I hope he doesn't mind me sharing it with you all.

Date: May 12, 2022 05:03PM

OK, good to know, but I'll probably be making a new one. I figure most would prefer Discord to Slack?

Date: May 12, 2022 05:09PM

Most people won't use either

Date: May 12, 2022 05:16PM

Understood. Most of the indie game dev types I know use Discord, so if I do set up a server it will be on that.

Posted by: G ()
Date: May 12, 2022 07:25PM

Hello Conqueror's, Zup Alexey,

Thank you Alexey. Thank You XuuL.

Comrade-D, Yes it was you. XullL said so. ;)

Hope everyone is well.

Date: May 14, 2022 09:25PM

Huh whats wrong with discord, discord it up

Date: May 17, 2022 01:37PM

I'm setting up a discord server.

Date: May 29, 2022 09:45PM

I dream of armies
rampaging across Europe
It's Conqueror time!

A haiku. *bows*

Date: May 30, 2022 01:48PM

Excellent! I'm working on getting the server reintegration happening, I just don't have as much time as I'd like.

In the meantime, maybe a haiku contest to keep the peasants, I mean players happy?

Date: May 30, 2022 02:02PM

Let us help Alexey. Join the unofficial discord server so we can chat.

Posted by: Hjourzt ()
Date: June 08, 2022 10:17AM

Hi Alexy:

I'd like to belatedly chime in with my thanks for your work and offer my two bits' worth. Unlike most here, I have been playing the single-player v computer version, which is the Shockwave version. I've had to go to great lengths to keep that working, and in fact it will only run on the Windows Explorer browser. Or I should say ran, because it stopped working last week (June 2nd, 2022-ish).

The Teams version did not do single player mode, so my greatest hope is that your new version retains that ability. In fact, I hope you start from the original iteration, as most everything about the teams version was off-putting, including the color choices.

As for changes I would like to see: I'd like to ability to pre-select which countries appear on the map, my own as well as 4 or five AIs, before the game randomly selects the remaining AI players. The game is only interesting to me if I can be Luxembourg or Rhineland, and be surrounded by at least 4 AIs who are within one province, plus ten other AIs scattered around the world. I usually do have to cycle through multiple offerings of the setup page before I get such a selection, so shortening that process would be a tremendous improvement.

Of course, the AIs being not-too-smart is why I need to surround myself with enemies, end even then, the game is more meditative than challenging. Smarter AIs would make it more exciting, but I understand that's more of a challenge on your end.

Just getting the original game up and running again, and playable on a modern browser without Shockwave would be awesome.

Thanks!

Posted by: Comrade-D ()
Date: June 18, 2022 12:50AM

Server being down
allowed to get alot done (SIGH)
I need Conqueror

Haiku aside --

How/where do I find youse on Discord?

~ Comrade-D

Date: June 25, 2022 11:58AM

Missing conqueror
I should get a hobby, but
am myopia.

Posted by: admin ()
Date: June 30, 2022 06:55PM

Ok, I've got something working but I need some of y'all to help test it.

Here's an invite to the Discord server, where we can sort it out!

[discord.gg]

Date: July 02, 2022 02:36PM

Sweet! Get your asses in there conquerors.

Posted by: Regalr ()
Date: July 04, 2022 05:35PM

Invite is expired. Can you resend?

Posted by: Gratis ()
Date: July 05, 2022 02:55PM

Alexey has managed to deploy a test server. Comrade-D, zzz and I just played a game. Join us!

1. Join the discord [discord.gg]
- If you are new to Discord, make sure to complete the registration process and remember your login details.
2. Drop a short intro in #introduction channel
3. You'll gain access to the test channel and be able to play with us.

Or just wait... I'm hopeful that the main server will be back soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2022 02:55PM by Gratis.

Posted by: Gratis ()
Date: July 08, 2022 06:25AM

It seems the previous invite link expired after 7 days, this one shouldn't expire ever: [discord.gg]

Posted by: Attila ()
Date: August 27, 2022 08:37AM

Good luck guys. I'll be following this forum and will certainly join once the new version is up and running.

"guess who's advancing"

Posted by: Patje ()
Date: January 07, 2023 12:14PM

[dev.conquerorgame.com]

for the folks who didn't know it was back

Posted by: Fenix ()
Date: July 27, 2023 05:26PM

[staging.conquerorgame.com] = new link to the game, it's been moved from the old dev server

[discord.gg] = link to the game discord for coordinating team games

Date: July 27, 2023 05:57PM

By starting at the homepage [www.conquerorgame.com] you can get to the game now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.